This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: users of the site can create their content but they shouldn't be able to switch languages via the black admin

Solution: at the moment it's not possible to achieve this only with WPML plugin. You need to use a third role-manager plugin, like Toolset Access. With Access, it's possible to restrict the use of languages: - check the option "Managed by Access" for the post type you want to restrict - in the tab "WPML groups" you'll have the chance to control permission to for post in a single language - remove permission for the language you don't want users to use. For example, if your site is in English and German, you need to remove permission for the English language, not German. - you can also create custom roles to further customize users permissions.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by raphaelM-3 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 1:21 pm #2790904

raphaelM-3

// Tell us what you are trying to do?

I would like to give the possibility to a German user to create and edit his own content. Without the need of an Admin to create it beforehand.
Is it possible?

// Is there any documentation that you are following?
I tried to use this documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-to-use-access-plugin-to-create-editors-for-specific-language/
But if I understand, it will give the possibility to translate a content that already exists.
So it's not really what I want. I want a German user to be able to create a new page, forced in German.

// What is the link to your site?
[edit]
I created an admin account for you here hidden link :
[edit]
I also have a "German" user created:
[edit]

Feel free to play with that and let me know what you've done!

Many thanks for your time and help.

October 8, 2018 at 2:27 pm #2796430

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I removed the credentials from your previous post because they were exposed in the public forum. Please don't add any private info unless we enable a private answer. As a further precaution, I'd suggest to change them.

Users can create their content if they have the authorization (so if they are at least Author), but from WPML it's not possible to restrict creation to only one language.

With Access instead, you can remove this option. You can do as it follows:
- check the option "Managed by Access" for the post type you want to restrict
- in the tab "WPML groups" you'll have the chance to control permission to for post in a single language
- remove permission for the language you don't want users to use. For example, if your site is in English and German, you need to remove permission for the English language, not German.
- you can also create custom roles to further customize users permissions.

I have to underline that Access is a premium plugin, part of our Toolset product. We offer a 20% discount for WPML clients who purchase a Toolset license. I'm not sure if other free role plugins would manage WPML permissions.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.

October 9, 2018 at 9:20 am #2799117

raphaelM-3

Ok, I will find a way to make it OK for my client 🙂

Thanks a lot!