This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
February 10, 2020 at 10:01 am #5460183

svenH-12

I would like to use automatic translation on our side for English-German because I am native German and can do this myself for our side by adjusting the automatic translation in the advanced editor.

However jobs for Chinese, Korean, Japanese I need to send to a transation agency with the classic editor.

How can I use both things at the same time?
Chinese, Korean, Japanese -> Agency (classic editor)
German -> Automatic translation (advanced editor)

When I change to classic editor I can no longer adjust the German translation with automatic translation.

Please advise if I shall just switch between Classic and Advance or if there is another solution.
I do not want to lose any translations already done neither from the advanced translation (Germany) nor from the professionals (other languages)

Many thanks
Sven

February 11, 2020 at 1:03 pm #5469543

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Sven,

Thank you for reaching out to the WPML support!

I understand what you would like to do but I'm afraid that you cannot use both Classic Translation Editor and the Advanced Translation Editor at the same time.

However, you don't have to use automatic translation all the time, even if you're using the Advanced Translation Editor. You can just simply go to WPML → Translation Management, select the page you'd like to translate in Chinese, for example, select the Translate option for the Chinese language at the bottom of the page (and Do nothing for all the other ones).

Once you did this, just simply go to WPML → Translations and press the Take and translate button. This way you should be able to add the translation manually.

Can you give this a try and tell me how it goes, please?

Thanks,
Radu

February 11, 2020 at 10:20 pm #5472815

svenH-12

Thanks Radu for your feedback.

I am aware that I can manually chose a translation.
However, then I am not able to use the automatic translation feature? Or is there a way to use it with classic editor?

What would happen when I switch between classical and advanced translation editor.
Would it preserve the work which has been done by the professionals in the other languages and I just add then German with the automatic translation? And when I am ready with the automatic translation and have it reviewed, then I can switch back to the classic editor if any other changes are needed for the agencies. Would this be an option?

Or is there any other way to use automatic translation for just one language?

Thanks
Sven

February 12, 2020 at 7:37 am #5474661

Radu
Supporter

Hey Sven,

Changing the translation editor from Advanced Translation Editor to Classic Translation Editor and back, multiple times, it not a good idea. Also, I'm afraid that you cannot use the Automatic translation editor only for one language.

Is there any specific reason why do you want to use the Classic Editor? When using the Advanced Editor (https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/), you don't have to use the option to automatically translate the content.

You can use the Advanced Editor while still adding the translation manually, by yourself. I'm just trying to understand why do you want to use the Classic Editor and see if we can do the same using the Advanced Editor.

Thanks,
Radu

February 12, 2020 at 8:33 am #5474897

svenH-12

Hi Radu,

thanks for your reply.

I am a native German and can do the translations myself.
With the advanced translations, it is much easier to do this, as you just have to correct the automatic translations and not start anything from scratch.

For the other languages, I am afraid, I need professional help.

Thus the the reason for my question.

Regards
Sven

February 12, 2020 at 9:54 am #5475743

Radu
Supporter

Hey Sven,

When using the Advanced Translation Editor, you can still add the translation manually.
For example, if you edit a page in the original language, and press the plus sign on the right sidebar to add the translation, you can add the translation manually.

You can use the Translate automatically button from the top of the page (https://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ate-auto-translating-the-whole-page-1.png) only when you need it. Can you tell me if this is the option that you're using to translate all the other languages except for German, please?

Thanks,
Radu

February 12, 2020 at 10:07 am #5475827

svenH-12

hey Radu

I understand all this,

However, there are

1. SOME languages I can not handle myself and want to send them to agencies (for which I need the classic editor I understand)
2. ONE language I can handle myself and want to use the automatic translations for this. So that I just then have to correct the AUTO TRANSLATED text.

Does this make sense?

I am still struggling with how to achieve both at the same time.
Fully aware that I can add the language manually (without automatic translation). But this is not what I want.

Regards
Sven

February 12, 2020 at 10:25 am #5475913

Radu
Supporter

Hey Sven,

1. You don't need the Classic Editor to send some translation to agencies. All you need to do is

• go to WPML → Translation Management;
  • select the page that you'd like to translate;
  • select the language that you want to translate from the bottom of the page (and select Do nothing for all the other languages);
  • go to Translation Basket tab.

Here you will be able to send the page for translation to Translation Service from here https://wpml.org/translation-service/

You can find some more detials about the process right here https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/professional-translation-via-wpml/

Can you tell me if this is what you're looking for?

2. If you can handle yourself one language, all you have to do is go to the original page, press the plus sign next to the German language on the right sidebar and start adding the translation using Automatic translation.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Using both Advanced and Classic Editor at the same time’ is closed to new replies.