This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 7, 2019 at 12:58 pm #3758049

fabriceT-2

I know that there is a post about this (https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/) but i wanted to check some details:

- My site is in português, french and english, i am going to point only the french one. Is it possible to have:
hidden link for português
hidden link for french
hidden link (the default one)
Do I need to have one domain per language?

Another point, if i follow the steps as in the post, is there anything else to do when our site is httpS?

I have already couple of pages in each languages, will this impact in SEO and redirection?

Ex: the french current main page is "hidden link", once the new url will be "hidden link", will the link to old URL "hidden link" be redirected to "hidden link"?

I wish to make the move but i don´t want to make any mistake to avoid site crash.

What shall we consider to make sure everything is going to work.

Thank you

May 7, 2019 at 4:43 pm #3760639

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

- Unfortunately, there is not possible to use the "domain per language" functionality for only one language, you would have to use a different domain for each language if you will want to use that.

- Regarding the SSL certificate (HTTPS), you should use either a multi-domain certificate or have a separate ssl certificate for each domain (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/ssl-certificate-and-a-different-domain-per-language/#post-2433383).

- Regarding the SEO being impacted/affected, by using the different domain per language, Google may interpret your site's extra domains used for each language as different sites (because they have different domains) even if they still share the same server, code, settings, plugins, etc.

WPML also adds information telling Google that one page is a translation of another, however, there are risks that your SEO will be affected.

So a poorly made configuration can indeed affect the SEO of the other site.

Also, please take a look at these articles on how to optimize your SEO with WPML:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/

I hope that this information answers your questions 🙂

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

May 10, 2019 at 1:07 am #3780021

fabriceT-2

Dear Mihai,
Thank you for your precious information.
I need to study al this before to go forward.

Indeed, we will get benefits to have each website in each specific extensions (.fr, .com, .de) for SEO.

Now, i have a couple addition questions:
- Do you have any information on setting SSL certificate on Cloudflare for domain in different language?

About SEO:
- If i have a page with ".com.br" like
hidden link

and we want the same page with ".fr" without /lang=fr, the question is: can we redirect the pages to avoid to lose SEO benefits? (some pages have been published already)

I got that google will understand the site hidden link as a new site and will refer it as a new site. May the content of the page .com.br affect the page .fr?

Are the steps to make the sites with different domains difficult? I read them but may i encounter problems?

Is there any videos to watch to help the configuration?

Thank you,
Fabrice

May 10, 2019 at 1:17 pm #3784789

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice!

1. Do you have any information on setting SSL certificate on Cloudflare for domain in different language?

All the information that we have related to the domain per language setup can be found here (there is no other documentation or video for this):
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Unfortunately, we don't have specific documentation for Cloudflare but the information in the link below should help:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-correct-way-to-configure-cloudflare-ssl-within-wpml/#post-2882940

From what I can see on the Cloudflare website, they are presenting the multi-domain SSL option in the link below:
hidden link

2. For the second question: if you change to domain per language, WPML should automatically send visitors to the new link as mentioned here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-from-different-directory-to-different-domain-per-language/#post-856564

I hope that you will find this information helpful 🙂 Just please don't forget to make a full website backup before you start the process if you will decide that you want to implement domains per language.

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 13, 2019 at 1:50 am #3794105

fabriceT-2

Dear Mihai,
Thank you for the answer.

I still have a couple of question in order to avoid any surprises at the time of the switch.
Documentation for this big move is very clear to my eyes. Anyway, we will make it happen.

1)SSL Certificate:
As I am using cloudflare i may need a multidomain certificate, it seems to be clear. But would Let´s encrypt certificate work? Can we assign one per domain through cloudflare?

2)Redirect:
It seems that i need to use a redirect plugin to avoid to loose the pages that have already been ranked. Do you confirm?

3)Photos associated to posts:
How does it work about photos associated to the page. If the main post picture of a already posted page is like site.com.br/uploads/04/2017/title.com.br/?lang=fr will the photo's URL going to change with the new URL?
What about the new photos uploaded to the site once the operation is done, will they be with the new URL of the specific domain or will it remain with the website original language URL.

Sorry but it is confused for me.

Thank you for your precious help,
Fabrice

May 14, 2019 at 8:06 am #3804597

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice!

1. If the site is working with different domains, each domain will need its SSL certificate as I mentioned above.

If it would be using subdomains instead, then the certificate should also have the wildcard assigned: (in Cloudflare it would look like: site.com, *.site.com), but since you are on Cloudflare and you want to use different domains, you'll have to register all the domains on Cloudflare.

Let's encrypt will only work if you have the Cloudflare plan that allows that, otherwise you'll have to use Cloudflare's Certificate but that's something that has to be talked with Cloudflare, WPML doesn't really handle that

2. If the site is going to change URL, then you should do a 301 redirect BUT before you do that, you should run some tests, because WordPress sometimes makes the redirections by itself.

Eg: If it was site.com/page, it will now become site.com/it/page (in the case where you added the directory in the default language, for example).

If you are not changing the default language, then the links won't change in the first language so you should be ok.

Sometimes, though, WordPress handles that, so you should have the redirections ready but test first, to avoid redirect issues in the future.

3. Only the parameter will change for the photos (if we take into consideration the example you mentioned) and if the parameter changes, that will not affect the SEO at all, because that's more for "internal" purposes, and Google knows it.

And yes, the links will contain the new domains and that should be fine.

Hopefully, that answers your questions 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 14, 2019 at 11:37 am #3806375

fabriceT-2

Dear Mihai,

Thank you for your answers.
I feel more and more confident.

However, i have a last question before i start the process.

In your documentation, we have to do as follow:
1) Point A record to server
2) Setting up our HTTP server through APACHE or NGINX
3) Setting up and using SSL for your domains

As we are using cloudflare i am not sure where i should point the DNS of the new domain.

A) Can i add a new site on cloudflare with the new domain, point the DNS of the new domain to cloudflare and then create the A record in Cloudflare pointing to our server, so i can use cloudflare services. Would i be able to use the let´s encrypt ssl certificat?

B) Or should i create a A record pointing directly to our server as mention on your documentation. (In that case do i have to point the DNS to the server or only the A record?)

I have drew a scheme, can it help?

I guess this is it.
Once again, Thank you for you help.
Best regards,
Fabrice

May 15, 2019 at 12:42 pm #3816543

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice.

Each (secondary language) domain needs to have the same IP of the main domain in Cloudflare's DNS section.

Also, our system will no be able to validate the domains, so you should uncheck that option.

There is also another catch:

You can only have 1 certificate in the server so the only way to work with Cloudflare for free and have the multidomain setup from WPML is to buy the multidomain certificate as you can check over here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-correct-way-to-configure-cloudflare-ssl-within-wpml/

Because each domain will have a different certificate, thus, only one of them will be in use by the server (which is AWFUL for SEO since SSL is mandatory now)

More information about Let's Encrypt could be offered by the people at Cloudflare as I, unfortunately, don't have any extra information about that, sorry.

I hope that you will find the information I shared with you helpful.

Feel free to get back to us whenever you need help with WPML. Even after you mark this current ticket as resolved, you can always open a new one and we will be here to help so no worries on that side.

I wish you a wonderful day and good luck with your project. 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 16, 2019 at 2:46 pm #3827103

fabriceT-2

Dear Mihai,

I have done some configurations and I would like to verify if I am on the right tracks.

1) I have bought the domain .fr and .com
2) I have pointed the DNS to Cloudflare
3) I have added the A record pointing to our main site server in cloudflare.
4) I have parked the .fr and .com domains to the main domain .com.br

I guess i have done right so far, correct?

The remaining steps now should be:
5) Buy the multidomain SSL certificat on cloudflare for https and wait to propagate.
6) Back up current site
6) Wrapping things up changing the settings on the WPML -> Languages to Different domain per language

Done.
Please confirm that I am doing things right and that i can go forward.

Thank you so much for your help.
Fabrice

May 16, 2019 at 3:34 pm #3827591

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice.

Yes, just make sure that the DNS of the other domains point to the same server where you have the main site (default language).

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 16, 2019 at 3:50 pm #3827711

fabriceT-2

Mihai,

When using Cloudflare services, we have to point DNS to Cloudflare.
Being that, we have the A record pointing to our main server.
Is it the way it should be configured?

Please find attached our cloudflare DNS .fr domain configurations.
Let me know if it is correct.

Thank you,
Fabrice

May 16, 2019 at 5:47 pm #3828519

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice.

Using an A record should be fine, as mentioned here:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

So that looks fine to me.

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 16, 2019 at 9:42 pm #3829491

fabriceT-2

Dear Mihai,
I was going to go forward but i discovered that i can not since i have a cloud server and they do not allow multidomain SSL certificate. and it is USD200 per month to use cloudfalre services.

That is a shame.

The host support tells me that Free SSL installed o cloudflare would work.
Have you guys tried and can you confirm that it doesn´t work.

What solution can I find to do so?

Last questions:
1) When having different domain per language, do the files remain in the same place?
2) Can we move back to the normal display like site.com/?lang=fr?
3) Is it common of WPML users to use the different domain per language
4) Do they prefer to create different independente websites with per domain?

For us, having all websites in the same place would be the best. Less manutention, less work and easy to switch.

Thank you again.
Fabrice

May 17, 2019 at 2:25 pm #3835239

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Fabrice!

1. "The host support tells me that Free SSL installed on Cloudflare would work.
Have you guys tried and can you confirm that it doesn´t work."

- It will work for one domain, yes. But if you have different domains, it will only work for the registered domain (Eg: you have .com, .br, .es, etc and .com is the "main one" you installed. It will ONLY work ok for .com)

2. "When having different domain per language, do the files remain in the same place?"

- They remain on the hosting where is the main domain stored.

3. "Can we move back to the normal display like site.com/?lang=fr?"

- Yes, you could switch back anytime.

4. "Is it common of WPML users to use the different domain per language"

- It really depends, there's not a wrong or right way of doing this, it depends on what you prefer. Some do, some don't. I personally prefer to just have the main .com domain and use language attributes in the URL but you decide what you want to use on your project 🙂

5. "Do they prefer to create different independent websites with per domain?"

- I didn't see many situations where clients prefer to have individual websites for each domain. That would practically mean that you have to maintain each site separately and it would be a hassle.

I hope that this answers your questions 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai