This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 9:09 pm #4584175

charleneT

I am trying to:
Certain parts of the page do not translate, such as 'course status' (enfrolled) and 'view course outline' (not enrolled) under each course do not fully translate.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
translation in French

Instead, I got:
English

September 17, 2019 at 12:29 pm #4588447

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Could you describe the steps you followed in order to translate this strings?

Kind regards,
Carlos

September 18, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4596163

charleneT

Hi Carlos,

I thought it would have been automatic.. I am not sure what I have to do to have that part translated apparently.. can you advise please?

September 18, 2019 at 12:17 pm #4596521

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I kindly ask you to follow the steps described in this link and try to translate this strings: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Regards,
Carlos

September 18, 2019 at 11:55 pm #4600271

charleneT

Thank you Carlos... I am not sure how to figure out which strings to translate. How do I do that?

September 19, 2019 at 10:05 am #4603367

charleneT

Carlos, I guess the other point is that 'part' of the text is being translated:

the image with 'View Cours Outline' the word Cours is French for Course. The same applies to 'Cours Status', Course is translated, but Status is not.

have you seen this before?

September 19, 2019 at 10:06 am #4603369

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

To translate strings using String Translation you need to:
- Read our official documentation
- Go to WPML -> String Translation -> Search and translate the untranslated strings

Regards,
Carlos

September 19, 2019 at 11:01 am #4603883

charleneT

i looked for the strings, but I do not see them... if I provide access to our site, would you be able to determine what they are?

September 19, 2019 at 11:20 am #4604247

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

September 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm #4606389

charleneT

Thanks Carlos.. I don't have ftp access and I have to find out who can backup the system. We use a hosting provider for this site.

I will reach out to them to acquire the ftp access creds and get them to perform a backup, then I will be back to you to provide that info and the admin creds..

thank you!

September 20, 2019 at 10:02 am #4611209

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I will be waiting for your message.

Regards,
Carlos

September 20, 2019 at 6:44 pm #4614129

charleneT

HI Carlos,

I think I may have found the string. It is part of the Uncanny-toolkit-pro plug in. I found the string 'course status' and it was not translated, so I translated it and selected save.

is the translation immediate or does it take some time to update? I am not seeing it update which is why I am asking.

thank you!

September 21, 2019 at 1:27 pm #4616039

charleneT

I found two strings that are not being translated. I translated them both, however when I look on the website, they are not being translated. See the images of the strings. The previous images I uploaded show what they still are now even with the WPML translation.

What I find to be odd is that the word 'course' is being translated to 'cours' in both of these strings, the other words such are not. 'View Cours Outline' and 'Cours Status'. View and Outline are not being translated and Status is not being translated, but that was the case before I found these strings.

It is as if there is a translation occurring due which is the word Course to Cours so does that mean since that word is being translated, it would not look for the stings in question? like there is a conflict and/or WPML only translates the first string it finds and ignores any other strings that include that word? and if so, do i need to delete that translation?

seems odd that this is happening..

September 21, 2019 at 1:54 pm #4616105

charleneT

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

September 23, 2019 at 8:42 am #4621729

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your messages.

The ticket was closed and I would like to ask you to confirm that you solved the issue or let me know if you still need my assistance.

Best regards,
Carlos