Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client wanted to migrate his site from QTranslate to WPML, and when he used the importer plugin, the translated posts haven't been imported.

Solution: The issue appeared because the QTranslate was using upper case to define the language code for the translated language, ex: testtest en, so WPML had issues to add the posts for the translated language, and this should be fixed in the next version of QTranslate Importer plugin, so if you have the same issue please check if you have the latest version of the plugins, then open a new ticket for the issue.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/ https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Torben Troest 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
August 3, 2017 at 9:00 am #1333926

Torben Troest

I am trying to: Use the qTranslate to WPML migration tool, but it leaves me with only one language in WPML. I have tried several times, but always same result. I bought WPML because I really want to migrate, but I have 275 posts with both Danish & English language, and no idea how to migrate if the tool can't do it.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

August 3, 2017 at 12:24 pm #1334114

Cristina

Hello Torben,

If you’re using the qTranslate Importer plugin without WPML, the output will be a site with just one language. The conversion process will ask you which language you want to maintain. All other languages will be deleted from the site.

If you get this result while using WPML and your purpose it to use multilanguage sites, you have to follow the process described in the guidelines for the use of this plugin:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/#with-wpml

Summarizing it up, to do this conversion you have to disable qTranslate, enable WPML and the qTranslate Importer, and let it do everything automatically after that.

To do this in a safe way, please follow these steps:

Disable qTranslate and enable WPML and the qTranslate Importer plugin.
Backup your database. This is critical. You have to do this before running the import.
Go to Settings->qTranslate importer and review the planned data conversion.
Click on the ‘Start’ button. This will go through all the site’s content convert it to use WPML.

If you already followed these steps as described in the guidelines and it did not work, we would like to have some more information about the site and configuration.

I am enabling the private reply box, so you can send us debug information, access credentials or a link to a snapshot/duplicate where we can test if the process works correctly or if there is any bug.
This answer will be visible just for you and the support.

Kind regards,
Cristina

August 3, 2017 at 1:25 pm #1334174

Cristina

Hello Torben,

I you don't mind, I would prefer to check before migration.

I would then make a duplicate and test it locally. It should create the same bugs you have in case this is not a server issue.

So if I get the same errors, I can analyze them. If I don't get any errors, I would ask for developer feedback, as this would be a specific issue that could be server related.

Kind regards,

Cristina

August 3, 2017 at 1:54 pm #1334201

Torben Troest

Please do so 🙂 I really look forward to hearing from you.... Just to warn you....the page is "Adults only"...just so you don't get surprised.... 🙂

Please let me know if you need more info from me ?

Hope to hear from you soon.

August 3, 2017 at 3:22 pm #1334321

Cristina

Hello Torben,

I made a copy of qtranslate language files and a snapshot of the site.

Once I get it downloaded and installed, I will run the usual procedure to check the issues.

Kind regards,
Cristina

August 3, 2017 at 6:11 pm #1334488

Torben Troest

Thanks you 🙂 Really hope you can solve it....I am so tired of qTranslate and really want WPML. I am quite sure I already bought it once before 2-3 years ago...but I never managed to migrate 🙂 So I hope the time is now 🙂

August 7, 2017 at 10:35 am #1336288

Torben Troest

Hi there. Any news ?

/Torben

August 7, 2017 at 11:10 am #1336320

Cristina

Hello Torben,

I could reproduce the problem. The import stops at a certain point, it shows complete without generating the redirections for the .htaccess, it did not recognize the .htaccess file and did not recognize the redirections when using the php file for it.

I used a thinned out version of your site on a clean install and I could see the debug information.
I have to escalate this to the developers to have a look at this, as it showed PHP errors that I think they should analyze.

I will keep you informed about this, but it can take a few days.

Kind regards,

Cristina

August 7, 2017 at 1:14 pm #1336475

Torben Troest

Super 🙂 But please have in mind, that it probably is more than that... Before migrating it was 275 posts after migrating it say 275 post in English and 0 in Danish (with English as default language in qTranslate), meaning all Danish posts are gone. I guess that is not only due to missing redirects...

/Torben

August 7, 2017 at 1:15 pm #1336479

Torben Troest

So the hanging and missing "Finished" info is probably one thing and the missing language could be another...

August 7, 2017 at 2:07 pm #1336543

Cristina

Hi Torben,

I saw that in my trials and recorded this too (missing danish posts), I also had this when running the import on a version where I cleared first all wpml information and tables, so we are looking into this.

Kind regards,
Cristina

August 8, 2017 at 5:35 pm #1337787

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi, this is Ahmed Ibrahim from the second tier support team.

I have debugged the issue, and it seems it happened because your QTranslate plugin, use the language code "DA" for Danish instead of "da" with lower case letters, so I have made some changes to our plugin an sent you the new batch by mail, return a backup to your site before using the importer plugin, then do these steps.

- Deactivate QTranslate.
- Install WPML and the importer plugin.
- Complete the setup for WPML and add the English to be default language and Danish to be secondary language.
- Go to the importer page and start the importing process.

Please let me know if that helps you.
Best Regards.

August 8, 2017 at 9:14 pm #1337942

Torben Troest

Amazing..... It works...only minor issues with the redirects...but small issues... You really made it..

Fantastic service and support....finally I can say goodbye to qTranslate...and hello to WPML...

Thank you so much...

/Torben