This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 6:50 pm #4383295

kamalpreetS

Hi there,

Here is our website: hidden link

We have two main languages, "en-ca" and "en-us". The main root directory is a global language called "en" which may be a mistake. We want the main .com root directory to be x-default. Can you advise how we can do this? The last support person didn't help much because when we did "x-default" then the root was still "en". Is there a way to hide the "en"?

Baljot

August 13, 2019 at 4:26 am #4385023

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us. This is currently scheduled for our developer team, but at the moment we do not have a deadline for when this will be fixed.

Also, we don't have a workaround for that. That is, at the moment we would need custom coding, which unfortunately is beyond the scope of our support. We have a list of WPML hooks that can help you develop such feature, which can be seen in the links below:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-coding-api/wpml-hooks-reference

If you prefer, you can contact one of our certified partners who can develop small to large features for your site: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

August 14, 2019 at 3:41 am #4392011

kamalpreetS

Hi Bruno,

Sorry but can you please confirm what is scheduled for the developer team?

We're wondering if we should delete the "en" Global language and then just have the root domain be same homepage? Or hide the "en" language? What's best practice, I'm surprised that this wasn't already taken care of before because every site should have x-default.

Baljot

August 14, 2019 at 9:09 pm #4397545

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Yes, this is set for our developer team as "Feature Request". The x-default, although recommended is not important. Google will simply analyze that one is English and the other is in the secondary language. This should not really make a real impact.

If you really want to keep an x-default tag, you can create this page as a static file using the HTML option and create the HTML page completely by manually editing these tags: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/#selecting-an-html-file

That is, if you want to follow this path, you can copy the HTML from the current page (root page) and edit the tags manually, then use the HTML directly. I believe this is the simplest way to achieve your goal without having to use filters or a lot of custom coding.

Please note that although this has been forwarded to our developers, we do not have a deadline for when this should be implemented.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.