Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: We have noticed that our variables do not display on variable product pages in English (our default language). However they display on the secondary language pages for French and German as normal.

Solution: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-variations-not-showing-even-after-trying-suggested-solutions/

Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
May 20, 2020 at 12:30 pm #6177429

davidN-51

Hello,

We have noticed that our variables do not display on variable product pages in English (our default language). However they display on the secondary language pages for French and German as normal.

We have to go into the variable product and save it again, in order for the variables to display. Thsi is infuriating, as we have to keep doing this for some reason.

We presume it most be related to WPML.

May 21, 2020 at 9:00 am #6184697

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

If you deactivate WPML, are variations showing in that original English product? Also, is this happening even for new products, or only for a specific product?

If only for specific product, did you consider re-creating it anew?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 21, 2020 at 12:48 pm #6186553

davidN-51

Hi there,

This issue is for all product variable pages. I just disabled all WPML plugins and the problem persists (a product variable which did not show variables still does not show variables).

Any ideas? I know WPML have had a lot of issues with variable product variations not displaying front end (if I look at previous posts) but not sure if WPML here is to blame or not.

BR

May 21, 2020 at 1:02 pm #6186699

davidN-51

So it seems that when someone buys a variable product in a second langage (German for example), then that variable product will not show the variations in the English language. In order to reset this, I have to go into the variable product page on the backend and resave it.

So seems like a database saving error of sorts, which affects the default language for variable product variations. In French and German (my secondary langauges) there is no issue.

Please note. It is 100% normal this problem still persists if I disable the WPML plugins as the database entry has already been saved and disabling WPML plugins would not change that.

BR

May 22, 2020 at 12:13 pm #6195313

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello,
My name is Carlos and I will be taking this ticket.

I understand from your previous messages that if you deactivate WPML plugins the issue still persists. If this is correct then WPML is not causing this issue.

I also recommend you to follow these steps in order to synchronize all products in all languages:
- Create a backup of the database
- Go to Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Settings tab -> Troubleshooting link (bottom right) -> Select all options and click on the "Start" button.
- Double-check if the issue persists.

Regards,
Carlos

May 22, 2020 at 12:39 pm #6195445

davidN-51

Hello Carlos,

I actually do not agree when you say this cannot be a WPML issue if WPML is disabled (and the problem is still visible). This is a datase saving issue of sorts, and even if WPML is disabled we are still pulling data from database entries which were created whilst WPML was enabled.

The correct test would be to disable WPML then buy a variable product on a secondary language page and check if the problem still persists. The problem is I cannot do that, because if I disable WPML I cannot access the secondary language product pages.

I think you were a little too quick to say this cannot be a WPML issue.
I have tried synching the product data in your steps, but that has no effect on this issue. It remains.

Thanks

May 25, 2020 at 9:47 am #6208945

davidN-51

I have just created a new variable product from scratch (witout duplicating a previous variable product) and the problem is still there.

I can give you access to a dev domain if required. Thanks

May 25, 2020 at 10:31 am #6209229

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback.

I have set your next answer private where you will find the corresponding fields for the credentials required.

Also, I would like to ask your authorization to run some tests on the dev site and create a copy to test on localhost if necessary.

Regards,
Carlos

May 26, 2020 at 9:23 am #6217331

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

However, the first credentials seem to be incorrect. Could you double-check the credentials and edit your previous message if necessary?

Regards,
Carlos

May 26, 2020 at 10:00 am #6217743

davidN-51

My apologies Carlos. Yes the directory protection credentials were wrong. I have updated them now and they should work.

May 26, 2020 at 1:48 pm #6220455

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you very much, this time I was able to log in to the site correctly.

I suspect we might be facing some kind of compatibility issue, for this reason, I kindly ask you to follow these steps and let me know the results:
- Back up your site first before making any- change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes. Specially WPML plugins.
- Flush all cache memory.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML, Woocommerce and Woocommerce Multilingual.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of these steps?

Regards,
Carlos

May 27, 2020 at 8:15 am #6226963

davidN-51

Hi Carlos,

Firstly I must apologise to you as I was sure I had fully tested all plugins. It seems I had not checked properly. The problem seems to be due to a compatability issue between WPML and the "German Market" plugin. So my next step is to speak with German market, but it looks as though the problem is with their plugin, rather than WPML.

Will keep you updated when I have further info, so you can pass feedback on to other people with the same problem.

May 27, 2020 at 10:08 am #6228073

davidN-51

Hello Carlos,

The good people at German Market solved this problem. Actually it was not an issue with their plugin but rather settings in the WPML plugin which were not correct for our setup.

They found a WPML post which had the same problem and that's how they solved the issue. Strangely, you were the person who was the WPML suupport person assigned to that ticket! https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-variations-not-showing-even-after-trying-suggested-solutions/

Thanks in any case for your help and all looks good now. You can close this.

May 27, 2020 at 11:18 am #6228495

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos