This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dennis 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
June 11, 2019 at 7:37 am

rajivv

I am trying to: Sync the variation descriptions. We've duplicated all the products (and their variations) and most of the information (SKU, custom fields, etc.) have been duplicated, but the variation description field remains empty. I've tried synching it with the Troubleshooting functionality, but it says there aren't any products/variations to be synched (0).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Every translated product variation.

I expected to see: Variation description synched

Instead, I got: Empty fields

June 11, 2019 at 10:18 am #3994085

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

I conducted a test on my local installation and apparently, duplicating the product does not duplicate the variation description on secondary language.

To copy/translate the variation description to secondary language of a duplicated product, I did these steps:

-duplicate the a product.
-edit the duplicated product. edit it on the default language.
-enable 'Use WPML's Translation Editor'
-re-translate the product. from the Translation Editor, you'll have the option 'Copy all fields from original'
-save and close.

Could you follow the steps above and see if it copies the variation descriptions of duplicated products?

Does it help? Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dennis

June 12, 2019 at 7:17 am #4001007

rajivv

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your reply. Duplicating all products one by one isn't an option, because there are about 150 products, and some of them have already been translated. I'm sure your solution works for new products/duplicates, but I need the current products to sync up (in bulk) instead of duplicating everything one by one. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

June 13, 2019 at 4:06 am #4009247

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The suggested solution should work even on the existing products. However, in order to copy the variation description using the Translation Editor you'll need to edit the products and update the translation manually one by one.

Did some tests on a clean install and I think I was able to find a way update the variations in bulk. However, this method will just copy the variation descriptions to variation descriptions secondary language. I hope this will work for you. To do that, please follow these steps:

-backup your site completely.
-go to WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation. Click 'show system fields'
-search for '_variation_description'. Set it to 'Copy'
-go to WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual > Attributes tab. Select the corresponding attribute.
-at the bottom, click the button 'Synchronize attributes and update product variations'

With the custom field '_variation_description' set to copy, this will automatically copies the value of variation descriptions to translation when you create a new product and translate.

Does it help? Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dennis

The topic ‘[Closed] Variation description not synched’ is closed to new replies.