This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
May 12, 2019 at 10:12 am #3792797

miaS-3

I am trying to:
Hi,

I'm trying to set up my blog after implementing WPML. I used to work with Polylang and am encountering a number of problems:

1) I have all my articles listed on the "Home" page in English, but it no longer does that in German - it just shows a blank page. How can I reestablish the connection so it automatically displays all articles here?

2) The language switch is integrated in the header menu as a flag symbol. However, it says "Sprachenumschalter" (=language switch) both on the English and German version of the site. How can I get rid of the word?

3) The articles in English and German are connected and display nicely on the home page (as long as I don't access it by clicking on "Start"(=Home) as indicated above in 1)... however, if I click on an English article and click on the German flag in the header menu (or vice versa), it doesn't take me to the respective language version of the article but back to the home page. How can I change this?

4) The comments to the articles have disappeared. How can I recover them?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Best,
Mia

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

May 13, 2019 at 8:25 am #3796037

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello Mia,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

For support rules we are able to handle only one issue at the time. This help us to bring you a better service and also help other users to find all the information here exposed. For that reason I have to kindly ask you to open a new thread if you need further assistance, you can assign it directly to me. In that way you don't have to wait and we can continue working on it.

Let's work here on your german blank page.

1. To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2. It would be good if you can provide me the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug informations).

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way, because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess in discussion).
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Best regards,
Andrés

May 15, 2019 at 8:12 pm #3820045

miaS-3

Hi Andrés,

thanks for your message, the explanation and clear instructions!

I hope the debug information helps and I'll open new tickets next.

Thanks so much for your help 🙂

Best,
Mia

May 16, 2019 at 5:00 am #3821985

Andrés
Supporter

Hello Mia,

Thank you for WPML debug information, however, you forgot to send us your WP debug info. This information is very important as it will show us the PHP error behind which usually is associated when a blank screen appears. Could you please send the 2nd point of my previous answer?

Furthermore, could you please increase your Memory Limit and WP Memory limit to 512M?
Your current values are:
- MemoryLimit 512M
- WP Memory Limit 40M

Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

May 19, 2019 at 8:34 pm #3842513

miaS-3

Hi Andrés,

thanks for your support.

I'm sorry, how do I get to the wp-config.php file?

I'll check with my provider, I'm not sure if I have access to more memory.

Cheers,
Mia

May 20, 2019 at 5:04 am #3843691

Andrés
Supporter

Hello Mia,

For getting your wp-config.php, you need to use a tool like Filezilla or any other FTP (File transfer proxy).

Please, let me know if I can help you further. 🙂

Regards,
Andrés