This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The default language is English. I added 2 more languages and translated 98% of the pages in those two languages. Then I created corresponding menus for each of the new languages and named the menus to match those menus. The Virtue theme allows each menu to be in one or more locations on the site, i.e. Primary Navigation, Secondary Navigation, Mobile, Footer. In this site, I am currently using Primary, Mobile and Footer Navigation. As soon as I set the menu for language 2 and/or language 3 to be on Primary, Mobile and Footer, the menu for that language (language 2 or 3) starts to appear on the site when viewing it in English.

Solution: Just simply go to Dashboard → Appearance → Menus, select the menu that you'd like to translate, and press the button for which language you'd like to translate from the right side of the page, right over the Save Menu button. This way you'll be able to manually control the menu items in each language.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Allan Tépper 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 9, 2019 at 6:11 pm #4539623

Allan Tépper

I hope you are very well. The Virtue theme is compatible with WPML according to your website. This website only has pages, not posts (there is no blog). The default language is English. I added 2 more languages and translated 98% of the pages in those two languages. Then I created corresponding menus for each of the new languages and named the menus to match those menus. The Virtue theme allows each menu to be in one or more locations on the site, i.e. Primary Navigation, Secondary Navigation, Mobile, Footer. In this site, I am currently using Primary, Mobile and Footer Navigation. As soon as I set the menu for language 2 and/or language 3 to be on Primary, Mobile and Footer, the menu for that language (language 2 or 3) starts to appear on the site when viewing it in English. So I had to (temporarily) uncheck those language menus and recheck the ones for the English menu. I have not yet added any language switcher until I can solve this problem with the menus. I am doing the menus manually; I am not using the auto-synchronization of the menus (at least not so far). I need for each language menu to appear only with its corresponding site language. Thank you in advance for your help.

September 10, 2019 at 5:33 am #4541931

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Allan,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

This sounds pretty strange. Everything should work well the way you set up the menus in each language. Is there any chance that you could give me access to the dashboard area so I can have a closer look at this and see what's going on, please?

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

September 11, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4553279

Radu
Supporter

Hey Allan,

I had a look at the menus from your website and I could see that the menu is in English only, for now: hidden link

All you have to do now is press the buttons I marked on the attached screenshot and create a menu for Greek and Castilian languages. This way you'll be able to manually set the menu items for each menu translation. Can you give this a try and tell me how it goes, please?

Thanks,
Radu

September 11, 2019 at 12:15 pm #4553303

Allan Tépper

Thank you Radu. I do not see the screenshot.

September 11, 2019 at 12:18 pm #4553335

Radu
Supporter

Hey Allan,

Sorry about that. I attached it again.

Thanks,
Radu

September 11, 2019 at 1:44 pm #4553817

Allan Tépper

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!