Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 9 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 18, 2019 at 4:35 pm #4784649

jeoffreyV

I am trying to: Change the EN translated text block with the WPML editor when the original NL text was changed.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: The old EN translation.

Instead, I got:
I saw the new NL text in the EN text block. The old EN text was overwritten.

October 21, 2019 at 7:32 am #4791853

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. Which editor are you using? The CTE or the ATE?

2. Did you change editors at some point? e.g. you translated the page initially with CTE/ATE then changed to the other?

3. Is this happening with all pages or just one?

4. As a test, please create a new page with a simple text, translate it, then introduce change as you did with this disfunctional page. Are you able to reproduce the behaviour?

Thanks for the clarifications

October 21, 2019 at 1:11 pm #4794767

jeoffreyV

Hi Yvette,

1. I am using the CTE
2. I didn't change editors.
3. It is at all pages.
4.I can reproduce the problem with a new page. It happens with a text block of WP Bakery Page builder.

October 21, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4795077

Yvette
Supporter

OK. Thanks for your collaboration so far.

1. Diagnostics
1.1 If you temporarily deactivate your non-WPML plugins and change your active theme temporarily to Twenty Nineteen - does the problem stilll happen?

2. Sandbox site
If you are still able to recreate the problem with the setup in point 1 above, please login to this sandbox site which has been pre-loaded and configured with WPML.
hidden link

Load up your version of Visual Composer and create the same test case as you did on your site. Does the problem still happen?

Please write back with results.

October 22, 2019 at 11:22 am #4801565

jeoffreyV

Hello,

I managed to get the error in the Sandbox with WP Bakery and WPML.
When I change the original main text in the Textblock click save and then go to WPML editor, the translated field is copied with to the translation text box.
Sometimes it works well but if you try it a couple times it suddenly goes wrong.

October 22, 2019 at 12:46 pm #4802497

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks

I am trying to understand the exact steps to replicate the issue. Here is what I have done and was unable to get to your case:

1. Create a new page in EN with text box - save.
2. Translate this page with CTE - save
3. Open EN page and add new text to same text box - save
4-. Open translated page in CTE
Here, I expected to see the content of the EN block copied to the translation - but it did not (see image)

What exact steps did you do to provoke the error? Am I missing something?

October 22, 2019 at 1:49 pm #4803011

jeoffreyV

No, you're doing it right. But you'll have to try it a number of times (I tried at least 5 times, before the error was provoked).

I also installed the latest version of Visual Composer. Doesn't make any difference unfortunately.

October 22, 2019 at 1:52 pm #4803029

Yvette
Supporter

alright - I¨ll keep trying. Do keep using the same page until it happens or do you start with a new page each testing iteration?

October 22, 2019 at 2:45 pm #4803471

jeoffreyV

It is on the same page.

October 23, 2019 at 7:37 pm #4814265

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I was able to recreate this consistently on the sandbox.

Before I can escalate this to our comptatibility team, I will need the latest version of Visual Composer to be installed on the sandbox site. Could you please do this and let me know when it´s done?

Then we´ll escalate your issue on up. Thanks!

October 24, 2019 at 5:43 pm #4822617

jeoffreyV

Hello Yvette,

I installed the latest version 6.0.5 in the sandbox. In this version I also noticed the problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.

With regards,

October 25, 2019 at 8:21 am #4824669

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks again - this has been escalated to our 2nd tier group for further work.

November 5, 2019 at 2:53 pm #4890347

jeoffreyV

Are there any updates on this issue?

November 6, 2019 at 3:53 pm #4900033

Yvette
Supporter

Yes there is.

It seems that this behaviour is related to the string memory that is implemented in order to "re-use" translations.
If the string is not 50% similar, it is not considered the same string and it is discarded.

The 2nd tier supporter suggests to complete all open translations before making repeated changes to the original string. Apparently, there is a notice when you open original in this case (a translation job is in progress) that you MAY lose translations.

I am now trying to understand the workflow that would cause you to make repeated modifications to the original post without first completing open jobs.

Could you share that with me?

November 14, 2019 at 9:25 am #4944933

jeoffreyV

I don't follow the part 'string memory' and 50% similar.

When I have a fully translated a page (NL into EN), everything translation is completed and checked. After a while I change i.e. only a title in NL -> Hit Save-> Go to the translation (recycle icon) and the EN title text is gone and copied with the NL Source. This can't be right is it?
This happens not only with titles but als with all other Visual Composer composer like text blocks.
The problem is that it is occurs randomly.

In the attachment you see the result what happend. The completed! translation title was 'Title English 3' and now is gone.