Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
January 26, 2017 at 4:30 pm #1191702

Philippe

Hello,

A few days after having completed all my taxonomies translations using WooCommerce Multilingual (from French to English), I realized that almost all my translations had dissapeared: Categories, Tags, Attributes. (see picture multilingual 3). Everything had been completed and nobody had modified the entries in French in the meantime.

The only thing that is not affected is Products translations (hopefully).

Could it be a conflict between WMPL Strings Translations and WC Multilingual settings?

Other clues that could perhaps be relevant for you (or perhaps not...)

1- My Product Categories hiearchy has been alterated. Almost all my subcategories and sub-subcategories came back to the Main categories level, even in my original language.

2- When I translate a Category, if I press on Save button, all the fields come back empty, instead of bringing me back to the Categories Translation main page to proceed with the next translation. (See pictures multilingual 1 and 2). I have to manually close the Translation window and then press on F5 to refresh the Categories Translation main page to see if the translation has been saved (for the + sign to change to the pen sign).

3- I had a hard time with WPML product_type field on this site a few weeks ago. See this case: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-product_type-field-was-set-incorrectly-for-some-product-translations/

Thank you!

multilingual 2.png
multilingual 1.png
multilingual 3.png
January 26, 2017 at 11:04 pm #1191913

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello.

I will be helping you with this issue.

1. Clarifications
1.1 Is it the case that if you translate a new category, you are still unable to save and then retain the translations?

2. Temporary access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thank you

January 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm #1192632

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Thank you for the system access. I took a look at your database entries and can confirm that the current numbers being reported by the various Dashboard screens reflect the actual number of translations existing in the database.

The problems with updating the taxonomy terms such as "Bois" is that there remains a reference in the database to the original translation that has since been deleted. (see images).

We have some cleanup utilities that will remove these "ghost" entries in our translation tables so that you can recreate the missing translations. However, it does not explain what process was executed that eliminated the translations in the first place.

To "cleanup" these ghost entries and continue your translations:
1. Create a system backup of your system
2. Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting - > Cleanup
3. Exeucte the option "Remove ghost entries from the translation tables"

After executing these steps, you should be able to use the Translation editor again.
I wait for your feedback and comments.

TaxonomyIDBois.png
RecordOfTranslationPreviouslyExisting.png
MessageThatTaxonomyWasDeleted.png
January 27, 2017 at 10:08 pm #1192779

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Thank you for your answer. I have removed the ghosts entries, as you asked me.

Now, I have still two more questions:

1- Can you try to translate a category, to experiment the software's interface issue that I have refered to and illustrated in my pictures named "multilingual 1 and 2" ? It looks like there is something wrong under the hood...

2- What is the best Product Translation Interface setting: "WPML Translation Editor" or "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" ? (see attached picture)

woocommerce_multilingual 4.png
January 29, 2017 at 1:50 am #1193024

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

1. "Disappearing" /"Non visible" taxonomy translations
There are some known problem linked to the latest 4.1 version of Yoast that have been signalled in these ticket among others. This problem will be fixed with the next release of WPML 3.6.3:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/with-new-updates-yoast-seowpml-category-description-began-to-disappear/
https://wpml.org/fr/forums/topic/categories-non-reliees-entre-les-langues/

However I see that you did not have the 4.1 version of Yoast activated. So this is a bit puzzling. I do notice, however, that after downgrading Yoast to 3.9, the translations of the categories (product categories, post categories..etc) are being applied even though they are not being seen in the Translation Editor.

You can test this by adding a description to any of your translated product categories. After saving, the description "disappears" However, if you go to Product-> Product Category dashboard listing, you will see the description has been added anyway. The same behaviour happens with translations.

2. Translation Editor v. Woocommerce Native Editor
In this case, if you change your editor preference to use "Woocommerce Native", then you will be able to edit the category and not experience any of these problems of non-visible edits.

It is recommended to normally use the Translation Editor, but in this case, until the new 3.6.3 is released, I would recommend using the Woocommerce Native editor.

I wait for your comments.

January 30, 2017 at 3:23 pm #1193889

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Thank you for these informations. I have given the OK to the translators to start again their translation's work.

About the "Disappearing" /"Non visible" taxonomy translations", I want to add two more precisions:

1- This issue was there before I even install Yoast SEO plugin.

2- This issue is not only present in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Categories translation, but also in WPML -> String Translation -> Select strings within domain. There is no way to select a domain, it always fall back to (1). So I think it could be a conflict with the Theme or an other plugin, since I don't meet this issue on my other website.

If you think you could check was going on under the hood, that's fine (perhaps a PHP correction to bring somewhere, I don't know...) Otherwise, we will continue to work and be very carefull to notice any other troubles that can lead us to lost all our translations again.

multilingual 5.png
multilingual 4.png
January 30, 2017 at 6:08 pm #1194103

Yvette
Supporter

Hmm. I am going to check the collation of your database tables. This might be what is at the root of this behaviour.

Thanks for giving me the additional insights! I will update this ticket with my findings.

January 31, 2017 at 8:13 am #1194485

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

There was a problem with the database collation. I changed the collation from "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" to "utf8mb4_unicode_ci" on tables:
wpro_icl_cms_nav_cache,
wpro_icl_string_urls
wpro_icl_string_pages.

This seems to have fixed the problem of being able to select a different domain in the String Translations screen.

It also fixed the problem of being able to retrieve the category translation, although when you edit the translation for the first time, it still "disappears".

I have been told that the latest release 3.6.3 should fix this issue. This is now available for download/upgrade. Can you please apply this version to your installation and let me know if it resolves this issue?

Thank you.

February 1, 2017 at 1:13 am #1195518

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Indeed, I confirm that the problem with String Translations is fixed.

But the last update make things worst for the WooCommerce Multilingual: Now, I'm completely unable to translate or edit Categories, Tags and Attributes. The little + sign or the "pen" sign don't work anymore. Now, I'm in deeper troubles... Please take a look.

February 1, 2017 at 2:25 am #1195528

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

I connected to your system again and tried to replicate the problem you describe and was unable to.

I used WPML -> Taxonomy translation for various taxonomies including categories, product categories, tags,...etc

I was able to still translate.

I also used the route of dashboard -> Products -> Categories.
I was able to translate.

Perhaps you can detail the steps you execute? or have you perhaps rolled back the update?
Thanks. I will be unavailable for 15 hours due to an international flight so if you need immediate help, please open a new ticket and make reference to this one. Otherwise, I will connect as soon as I land.

Thanks.

February 1, 2017 at 7:37 pm #1196661

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Hope you had a good flight! Indeed, I'm able now to translate as you did. The Product Categories translation still turn blank when we complete a translation, but then translations appear when we refresh the page by doing F5. We will start back the translation process and see if everything stay in place. We will move our site to a new Web Hosting service in the next days, so I will be able to see the results only in a few days.

February 2, 2017 at 7:41 pm #1197982

Yvette
Supporter

Ok.

So I am happy to hear you can work with the translations and move forward with your project. I can say that this behaviour is still not entirely normal so I would like to take a snapshot of your system so I can escalate this issue to our development team.

Is this ok with you? We will delete the site once we have determined the problem.
I wait for your permission.

February 2, 2017 at 8:39 pm #1198047

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Absolutely! I'm very happy that you propose it. Go ahead with Duplicator.
I have asked, more than one year ago, to the theme's developer (G5 Theme) to participate to WPML accreditation program, since he sells (like many others) his template as "WPML compatible". But this theme is not yet in the official list of WPML compatible sites. It would probably help with futur issues...

February 3, 2017 at 11:21 pm #1199267

Philippe

Hello Yvette,

Bad news. No way to translate description in WooCommerce Mutlingual -> Categories. Only the numbers in the translation are keeped, all the words are not keeped. See attached picture. Very strange... So this raise up the urgence to find a solution.

Thanks

multilingual 6.png
February 6, 2017 at 12:39 am #1199802

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

I can confirm that this behaviour with only the digits and no characters being saved is replicable with the standard Twenty Fourteen theme and all non-WPML plugins deactivated.

It hapens on both standard categories and woocommerce product categories.

The problem seems isolated to the Taxonomy Translation tool although I can still execute translations using the normal WordPress editor for categories.

All this information has been forwarded to the 2nd tier team for resolution.
The ticket is now changed to "Escatlaed "status but you can still write messages here if needed and it should arrive in my inbox.

I hope to have news for your soon.