This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by richS-3 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Sumit.

Author Posts
September 18, 2019 at 6:18 pm #4599513

richS-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I can't seem to get this set up properly we have 2 main issues.

(1) Since we have several clones and repeater fields (as well as some tabs, and non-input type fields) I'm having a hard time getting everything set up.

(2) For whatever reason our Home Page Hero Unit field group (which is only shown on the front page (but for all locations), will not update. We enter the details but they are erased when we hit publish

Is there any documentation that you are following?

I followed as best I could your ACF docs

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

It's behind httpassword, but I'm happy to create a log in for you.

September 19, 2019 at 1:50 pm #4605669

Sumit
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting support forum.

I will help you with your queries about ACF.
The first thing please make sure the ACF setup is like this hidden link
If you want to translate the ACF field group labels then only set the field group to translate otherwise setting them to do not translate will save a lot of time.

Now as you said some fields are a repeater and some are clone. To translate the repeater field you need to set the main field to copy and sub-field to translate or copy as required.
FYI, if there is a field you want to translate set it to translate otherwise copy for each field.

For clone field, set the preference in the field you are cloning.
This can be done by editing field group each field have their translation preference, no need to go to the custom field settings in WPML.

Once this setting is done then please make sure to update the page in original language and translate using Translation editor.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks

September 20, 2019 at 12:12 am #4608493

richS-3

Hey Sumit, thanks for hopping in. I followed your instructions and have still not made any headway. Here's a link to a quick screencast that I recorded to better illustrate my issues. If you have access to the private message on this post (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-dont-see-the-translation-basked-at-the-documentation-suggests/) you can access the backend. If not, please tell me how to add a private message here.

Here is the screencast: hidden link

- Rich

September 20, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4612813

Sumit
Supporter

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the detailed videos. This helped me a lot.

You are also using Flexible content. We have a known bug with Flexible content where when we set preference for translation in Dashboard > Custom fields it is not applied to system fields.

I hope you are aware of ACF system fields if not then please take a look hidden link (system fields are fields with the same name but start with an underscore)

Because of the above bug Flexible fields content is not copied to the translation post. The current workaround for this we go the edit post screen, scroll down to the Multilingual content setup then click show system fields after it we can set the translation preference manually for each field.

But as I saw in your screencast you are planning to use Native Editor interface in that case you can simply duplicate the page. Please take a look at the steps:-
#1 Duplicate the page to the language
#2 Refresh the page when duplication is done
#3 From the admin language switcher, switch to the language in which we duplicated the page.
#4 Make the changes in custom fields and then update.

I just did for Spanish page on the site from here https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-dont-see-the-translation-basked-at-the-documentation-suggests/
Does it fix the issue?

Thanks

September 23, 2019 at 2:56 pm #4625259

richS-3

Thank you Sumit, I will look over your instructions today and confirm I understand and that they are working. -Rich

September 23, 2019 at 3:57 pm #4625537

richS-3

Hey Sumit, looking over the Spanish page, it appears this page was created 12 times? (See attached screenshot). Do you know why that happened?

September 23, 2019 at 8:17 pm #4626493

richS-3

Hey Sumit, this still is not functioning properly.

Even on the page you created, if I try to change the content from the hero unit and save, it reverts back to what was saved originally.

I will do some more digging and do a few more screencasts, but we are still very far from this being functional.

- Rich

September 24, 2019 at 11:31 am #4631129

Sumit
Supporter

Hi Rich,

When I tested the page was created only once and I updated the fields with ES prefix which was visible on front-end.
It is possible that some fields are set to copy which will overwrite the translation from original page.

Please let me know when you finish testing with a non-working page I will check again.

Thanks

September 24, 2019 at 2:38 pm #4632509

richS-3

Yes, I went through last night and updated to make sure all were set to translate and it is working as expected. Thanks!

September 24, 2019 at 2:38 pm #4632511

richS-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!