This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 10:34 am #3914223

markP-14

Hi,

We want to go international with our shop, but with a basic version so it should be easy to translate.

We are currently already in multiple countries with our native language, but we want to cover all of europe. Our current sites have a lot of extra pages with lots of content and string translations, but we want to include only the basics for now (and some extra changes).

We now add our translations to the string translations via https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/__/ (for example __('text', 'sitename')) but how can do this for our basic site?

I was thinking of something like:
__('text', 'basicsite') for the new, new site only, translations
and something like __('text', ['sitename', 'basicsite']) for the shared translations. But this isn't possible?

What would be the correct way of doing this?

May 29, 2019 at 6:44 pm #3918247

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'm not sure I entirely understand the issue, but it sounds like you want to use the same translations for multiple sites. Currently the only way that is possible is to export string translations and then import them to the additional sites. So any updates would need to be imported as well.

If I am misunderstanding the question, please let me know and I'll be happy to take another look.

May 29, 2019 at 6:49 pm #3918259

markP-14

Hi Lauren,

Yeah that's what we are looking for but we need something more advanced since we only need a basic selection of the strings in domain 1 and some new strings from our new site.

How can this be done?

May 29, 2019 at 7:04 pm #3918273

Lauren
Supporter

The only way to share translations across sites is to export from one site and import to the other site.

If you need custom work, I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/.

May 31, 2019 at 11:51 am #3930327

markP-14

Hi Lauren,

Can you please assign my ticket to someone with dev experience?

I'm looking for a method to add 1 string to multiple domains without manual work.

May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm #3930933

Lauren
Supporter

Our developers do not provide custom solutions. WPML on its own cannot share translations to different domains. You will need to contact an outside developer for a custom solution. I'm sorry I don't have an easier solution for you.

May 31, 2019 at 1:43 pm #3930953

Lauren
Supporter

Also, please feel free to submit this idea as a feature request, and our developers can then review and decide if they want to include this in a future release. You can submit this form here: https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Thanks!