This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 58 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 week, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
August 23, 2019 at 11:56 pm #4449995

davidD-102

I am trying to: Website backend is loading slow, I checked with many tools and its showing reason from WPML different plugins; Its really bad experience with WPML. Is there anything you can check and let me know the solution.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

August 24, 2019 at 7:42 am #4451031

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

Most of the time the slownes due to WPML is made by String Translation which is trying to use more resources than the ones allowed by the hosting company the site is on (i'm not talking about CPU, i'm talking about contemporary database queries, for example, resources that are restricted)

This basically happens on very crowded Servers, that end up having very restricted resources in places like the database which String Translation used to make a very intensive use of.

So what i suggest is that you make a full site backup, go over here:
https://wpml.org/download/wpml-string-translation/?section=changelog
https://wpml.org/download/wpml-translation-management/?section=changelog
https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

And download our beta versions for String Translation, WPML Core and Translation Management.

These new versions are mostly focused on performance and String translation now stopped using the database to retrieve and store the strings of your site which will definitely make an impact on your hosting and help your site return to be way faster than it is now.

I strongly suggest that you create a staging installation of your current site, because it's standard and good practice to never try something new on the current site, exactly to avoid having a broken site (or just a site with problems that weren't there before on a production level).

Try it and let me know how it goes, so we can then continue with the database cleaning that will make your site lighter.

Regards.

August 26, 2019 at 9:30 pm #4461565

davidD-102

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

My website is too heavy and it creates a problem if we create stagging on the same server. Even last time our all website get down when we made staging for it and server team gave me a response that WPML is causing the issue so I am afraid that I will face the same issue again so please let me know the best solution. It's really a big problem for us for our backend slow loading issues.

Thank you.

August 27, 2019 at 8:02 am #4463547

Alejandro
Supporter

Well, it all depends on what you mean by heavy. if you mean "heavy" by dimension, then just let me know how much does your entire website weight. we have had sites of over 6gb migrated to our staging sites (temporary sites that we create in order to help people with problems similar to yours)

if you mean heavy on resource use, then that shouldn't be a problem either but it would be good to know what is making the site so heave according to your hosting support (you can ask them if there's a script more than just a plugin).

We have had sites saying that they were very heavy and turned out that they were because of too many database queries and that is already changing with our new string translation plugin which makes basically zero queries making the plugin way way lighter!

If you'd like to, we can migrate your site to our temporary staging sites and test there, what do you say?

August 27, 2019 at 4:13 pm #4468417

davidD-102

Hi

Heavy means, database has too many queries and database is also more than 250 MB. Support team identify that we have too many queries which make server down. We are using a dedicated server but when we made stagging of this then server stop responding due to too too many queries and they identify the reason for WPML.

Yes, if you can try it on your staging server and resolve the issue that will be good great. so please let me know what else you will need from us.

Thanks

August 28, 2019 at 8:21 am #4471923

Alejandro
Supporter

Perfect, let's try to migrate everything to our servers just to not disrupt your site's development and then i'll let you know all i did.

I'll send you the details on a private message.

August 28, 2019 at 3:15 pm #4475443

davidD-102

Ok, Thank you so much!

I am doing the above task you gave me on private message.

August 28, 2019 at 4:11 pm #4475845

davidD-102

I am entering the details you asked but it's asking only a few details so I am filling these. Please check the screenshot:
hidden link

August 28, 2019 at 4:14 pm #4475851

Alejandro
Supporter

Cool!

Let me know when the migration is finished, please

Thanks in advance.

August 28, 2019 at 4:19 pm #4475865

davidD-102

Sure, Its almost done. I will ping you back when it's done.

August 28, 2019 at 4:23 pm #4475887

Alejandro
Supporter

Thanks

August 28, 2019 at 4:28 pm #4475913

davidD-102

Hi,

Thank you. It's done so now you can continue.

hidden link

hidden link

August 29, 2019 at 2:04 pm #4481635

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello.

Ok, so, here's what i found.

1) you don't really need WPML CMS Nav, so you can erase it (that's actually a legacy plugin used to create multilingual breadcrumbs but that's not needed anymore for you)

2) I suggest you update Slider Revolution to version 6+ since it's lighter.

Then let's start with WPML.

First of all, i strongly suggest you update String Translation to the beta version (which is actually pretty stable).

Before you even try to update it on the production site, give it a test run on the staging site i provided you, that way you make sure everything's fine bfore you ship it to production (or you can at least know what's going to happen once we ship the plugin out of beta version which is pretty soon).

Check it out and if everything goes well, you can install the beta versions of both WPML and translation management and have an extra small boost in performance (in the cloudways site, first and if everything goes well, backup your site and update the plugins)

Let me know how it goes.

August 29, 2019 at 9:20 pm #4483565

davidD-102

Thank you, I will try everything on staging site first. Did you run any R&D at your end on staging site to increase the speed of backend ?

August 29, 2019 at 10:04 pm #4483661

davidD-102

Hi,

I am not able to login in the staging website with my login, can you please share login if it's changed from your end?