This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 12, 2018 at 3:29 pm #2812430

itsikr

Hi,

A few days ago we noticed that suddenly, the website had become incredibly slow. It would take up to 2 minutes to load the website, or even give me a 500 error and not load at all.

Through disabling and enabling plugins, I figured out that the problem was with String Translation. Right now it is still disabled and the site is loading way faster, however some stuff on the site is not translated.

Why is that? I've updated everything on the site (plugins, theme, WP) and tried re-activating it but nothing changed.

How can I fix it?

October 15, 2018 at 11:15 am #2817120

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

first of all, I'd suggest you increase the WP Memory Limit. PHP memory limit is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb.
Add this near the top of wp-config.php file (after the php opening tag) to increase WP memory:

/** WP Memory Limit */
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

The wp-config.php file is located in your WordPress root directory. It's the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
You can check the current WP Memory Limit value from WPML -> Support in the Info section
More info here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can also check this link about String Translation: https://wpml.org/faq/why-string-translation-appears-to-slow-down-sites/

If after checking that options you still have performance issues, please consider this other article: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/ and if this still doesn't help you we'll try to further debug the issue.

The topic ‘[Closed] Website becomes incredibly slow after activating String Translation’ is closed to new replies.