Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davideG-19 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 9, 2018 at 5:21 pm

davideG-19

I am trying to:
I have a WordPress website that uses Polyland free as languages management system. I need a more professional system so I would like to migrate it to WPML. I followed the step-by-step guide I found on the "Migrate Polylang to WPML" plug-in page (hidden link).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
This is a business site so I cannot keep the error running for too much time. For the moment I just deactivate WPML and re-activated Polylang.

I expected to see:
I expect to see the whole website translating correctly posts and pages like it does now (www.itakasolution.com).

Instead, I got:
When I complete the process the website body disappears and only the header is there (the header also contains a language switcher and I already tried to remove it, but nothing).

October 10, 2018 at 9:36 am #2803679

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

I think the best way to troubleshoot this issue is to take a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin.

Is this possible to do?

We don´t need the contents of wp-content/uploads and the database can be reduced if needed. That way I can install on a local server and troubleshoot what is happening freely without interrupting your live site.

I am opening the private area for a Duplicator package if you can create one yourself. Please use a file-sharing service if needed and only include a link where we can download the package from.

Thanks for letting me know.

October 10, 2018 at 9:54 am
October 10, 2018 at 1:33 pm #2804464

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

Thank you for the duplicator - I had to deactivate the caching and security plugins to actually login.

I was able to see your "polylang-> wpml" site once the following things were done:
- changed active theme to TwentySeventeen
- deactivated all Polylang plugins
- Used the latest version of WPML plugins (you had old ones installed)
- upgraded all non-WPML plugins to latest releases where possible
- Translated main italian menu to English using WPML -> Menu Synch tool
- finished setup tasks for WPML CMS (duplciation of media )

Even then, many warnings were issued for some other plugins like:
- custom post type widgets
- custom category templates

I imagine there might be others.

I sorted out the issues that were easy to do, then I was able to navigate through the site and see that the posts and pages were linked as translations.

However, the main issue is with your Stanley theme. When I switch active themes to the Stanley theme, I get many warnings dealing with the header and menus.
I could see in the header.php there is custom code for a language switcher and there are problems with the Walker Menu class in your functions-extra.php file

In short, the migration seems to have "worked" but you still have to sort through the normal compatibility issues that may be present.

I would suggest that you do as I have done. Create a staging site with the Duplicator that you provided me. Get the migrated site to work with a default theme like Twenty Seventeen as I have done. Once you are sure it is working as you´d like with this theme, then tackle the issue that arise due to your customized Stanley theme.

Does this sound sensible to you?

October 10, 2018 at 10:20 pm #2805930

davideG-19

Hi Yvette, I managed solving the problem! Thank you!
As you pointed out there where different issues depending on various things but not the migration plugin. Regarding the website disappeared after having migrated the translation system from Polylang to WPML the problem was the Polylang custom language switcher — as you suggested — in the header.php template. I simply replaced it with a WPML version and the rest of the website finally appeared back. The only thing I had to translate again was the menu. I just created the translation for it. Not a big problem.

Thank you for you support!