This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dat Hoang 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
January 13, 2015 at 2:15 pm #541753

edwardL-3

Hi, This is an issue I've been struggling with, we're a major site with about 3M PV/day, and whenever we enable WPML, our load gets to as high as 200%-300%.

Once disabled, the site becomes super fast again. When string translation enabled, it's even worse.

Also, please don't ask me for access to the site, it's way too critical to give away, and we tried duplicator, but the site didn't finish duplicating because the site is just too big. Would really love to use the plugin, but just can't get it to work.

January 14, 2015 at 9:37 am #542192

Dat Hoang

#1,
Please go to WPML > Support > Debug Information and give me the information in the next reply. You can read the detailed instruction here: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please make sure you're using the latest versions of WPML Core and add-on plugins.

#2,
Please check this http://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/ , section "Using WPML Better"

#3,
Please confirm that you disabled these settings:
- Auto ID Adjust State
- Track where strings appear
- Auto register strings

Does that help?

January 14, 2015 at 10:07 am #542225

edwardL-3

Hi,

I've tried all of those. the issue is, we're a major site doing about 3.5M PV/day. I think every time a post is read, it contacts WPML, and WPML contacts the DB that makes it super slow.

And yes, I have turned all those off, and turned off ANY possible settings that make it slow, and also increasing PHP memory limit to 256MB. I even resized our servers to 4GB of ram, but WPML still makes is so slow that the load is almost always above 3 when activated (even without string translation).

There's got to be ways to solve this...or is WPML is just too bulky of a plugin?

Edward

January 15, 2015 at 5:02 am #542821

Dat Hoang

For a site with a big pageview like this, you need to install or config the caching solution.

And please keep in mind that you can not expect the similar speed (without caching) between activating WPML and deactivating WPML. All multilingual plugins consumes more resources to connect the language information of different elements.

I'm reporting to our developers and let's see what we can help.

January 15, 2015 at 5:47 am #542830

edwardL-3

Yeah, I understand. It's trying to retrieve Mysql language data from every post, and cross checking for multi-language media or what not.

Yes, I think caching would work, but I am not sure how to get it up. I have varnish set up, so perhaps you guys can suggest a workable setup?

January 16, 2015 at 5:12 am #543556

Dat Hoang

Actually there is not a detailed guide about this.

You can see some our documentation:
+ http://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/
+ http://wpml.org/2011/03/wpml-with-w3tc/

They are pretty old. Please let me know if you need any help.

January 16, 2015 at 6:09 am #543565

edwardL-3

Yeah we had caching, w/ wordfence as well, it doesn't really help the situation either.

Varnish is in play as well. Any other ways?

January 16, 2015 at 11:18 am #543765

Dat Hoang

As you see the link I suggest that's W3TC. However, it takes time to implement it.

Please let us know if you have any problem when applying the solution. We will try to give you the advice.

January 16, 2015 at 11:24 am #543771

edwardL-3

I actually have W3TC set up. I benchmarked it against wordfence, and found that wordfence is much faster.

that said, I don't think W3TC will make it any different. any other ways to solve this?

January 19, 2015 at 1:47 am #544611

Dat Hoang

WordFence is a security. I'm not sure how it's related to cache.

For your problem, I suggest contacting one of our certified partners to get help: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/ . We have not had this kind of instruction as you want now.

I can say that our WPML developers are working on this problem and make it have better performance and in the future we may release the blog posts about this problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

January 19, 2015 at 2:00 am #544613

edwardL-3

Actually on the contrary, wordfence is a much better cache system than W3 total cache. My site speed went up dramatically after switching from W3 to Wordfence, it isn't even a contest.

That said, my site still suffers w/ wordfence on, it's pretty crazy.

January 19, 2015 at 2:03 am #544614

edwardL-3

And, there are BUNCH of other people on this forum mentioning the slow speed. There's gotta be a way to make this work. site speed is almost always one of the most important things for a site, especially one that has such a massive audience.

Is going to the developers my only choice?

January 19, 2015 at 9:18 am #544745

Dat Hoang

I understand it's not easy. But that's just the way to resolve the problem now.

In the case, you find any specific thing, please let us know. Our developers will be ready to debug it.

I'm closing this ticket now. If you have any problem, please open the new ticket.

The topic ‘[Closed] Website CPU load at 200% consistently after enabling WPML’ is closed to new replies.