Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.45 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
March 27, 2019 at 4:24 pm #3473637

mikeE-8

Hello,

After upgrading WPML our navigation broke.

When viewing a translated page, a drop-down navigation link to a translated page is no longer appearing as a drop-down link and has moved out to a main navigation choice. The title of link also changed from English to the translated page title. This is not the way the nav worked before, and are wondering how to fix it.

Links to pages will provided privately if you could make our reply private.

March 27, 2019 at 6:58 pm #3474933

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

i currently cannot see a language switcher dropdown in the front end of your site , it seems that the home page has not been fully translated.

if you want to display the dropdown without translations please try going to WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation -> Pages-> "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language"

additionally you can go to WPML->languages->Language switcher and make sure your switcher is added to the correct menu , and styled the desired way'

let me know your results please

March 27, 2019 at 7:04 pm #3475007

mikeE-8

Hi Bobby,

Did you read my full post? I didn't mention anything about a language switcher, and asked for you to make it possible for me to reply privately to send you links to the pages in question.

Please note carefully I am talking about a main navigation menu at the top of the site. I will provide you with links to a development site where the plugins have been upgraded and the issue is visible on specific pages.

March 27, 2019 at 7:18 pm #3475063

Bobby
Supporter

Next reply is private, feel free to share the links ( i have to set it to share the WP Access , you can either share the staging site access or set them to na/na , sharing the access to the staging site of course can make it easier for me to further investigate, bu please do make sure that a backup is in place )

March 28, 2019 at 2:11 am #3476585

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the details !

go to Appearance->Menus-> and notice that there is 1 menu for all your translations (except French now) -> there is a sidebar menu for your transaltions , once i removed the added content for the French version it worked as expected.

March 28, 2019 at 3:02 am #3476695

mikeE-8

Hi Bobby,

We need that sidebar navigation menu for every language. You removed the sidebar nav that appeared on the left lower down on the page. That main nav shouldn't be affected by that menu, but for some reason it is after the update.

March 28, 2019 at 6:04 am #3477185

Bobby
Supporter

It is interesting this is even causing an issue adding that sidebar there, is this a custom theme that you are using ?

Also please bare with me but i have the dev site and live site open side to side and cannot see anything missing from the FR page in the dev site that shows in the live site, they look the same.

a screenshot of the specific menu that you are referring to missing now that the side bar has been removed would be great.

March 28, 2019 at 6:10 am #3477191

mikeE-8

Hi Bobby,

You're right, it looks like when I added the sidebar menu back to the French translation it's no longer interfering with the top nav. I tested the same with Japanese and it worked as well.

I'll re-add the menus for the other translations, but it looks like this fixes the issue... somehow.

Thank you for assisting with the troubleshooting.

March 28, 2019 at 6:27 pm #3484861

Bobby
Supporter

Glad to hear it worked !