This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
October 29, 2019 at 3:13 pm #4849209

vladM-4

Hello,

I've just updated to 4.3.1 on a dev test site while having the "Disable REST API" plugin active and none of the WPML specific endpoints enabled, including the new /wpml/st/v1 ones("Disable REST API" allows selectively enabling and disabling and and all endpoints). Despite this, generation of MO files seems to have gone well and everything seems fine(the string translation admin page is an order of magnitude faster. cool stuff!).

All that being said, I would like to know what specific endpoints are required for what functionality of WPML and if WPML can work properly without any REST API functionality(including the new string translation paradigm). Would that entail some disadvantages, perhaps?

I would also strongly suggest that you add a comprehensive list of said endpoints with the proper explanation to a documentation article. Many of your customers are seasoned WP developers and we do not treat any plugin, including WPML, as a black box.

Thank you!

October 30, 2019 at 11:52 pm #4859807

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. I believe all WPML endpoints are required for plugins to work. The ATE endpoint may not be used if you are not using ATE. For everything else, they are from String Translation, Translation Management, Settings, etc.

I will contact our 2nd tier support team to suggest what you have posted about adding a list of endpoints.

Thank you

October 31, 2019 at 10:19 am #4862259

vladM-4

Hello,

Please don't close this as that was a lackluster answer and please escalate this to second tier so soemone can actually tell me which endpoints are REQUIRED for proper functioning, and howcome generation of MO files as per the new string translation functionality seems to have worked just fine with them turned off.

Thank you!

November 1, 2019 at 7:54 pm #4872965

Bruno
Supporter

Hello,

As I said above, I am in contact with 2nd tier support and so the message will not be closed.

Also, by default, all WPML endpoints are required for WPML to work. As you can see, many endpoints have been created and WPML is using them for various tasks (String Translation, Translation Management, ATE, etc). Disabling any of these endpoints will cause WPML not to work as expected.

On your second question about the MO functionality, may I kindly ask you please to open a new ticket for your new question? According to our guidelines, only one issue per topic is allowed. Also, this will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.

About the REST API, I'm still in touch with 2nd tier support and as soon as I have an answer, I'll update this post.

Thank you.

November 4, 2019 at 11:08 am #4879971

vladM-4

Cool, let's see what they say.

November 4, 2019 at 5:37 pm #4883639

Bruno
Supporter

I have scaled your ticket for both 2nd tier support and our documentation team. At the moment, 2nd tier support has responded only to keep all endpoints starting with "/wpml/" enabled.

Also, I asked our Documentation team to check how we can explain what each endpoint does.

Please note that our documentation team will check your ticket and we may add a documentation page about it, but we do not have a deadline.

Thank you.

November 4, 2019 at 6:56 pm #4884139

vladM-4

Ok, thank you! Please keep the support cleanup robot off this, if possible.

November 7, 2019 at 12:34 am #4902373

Bruno
Supporter

The 2nd tier support responded by explaining the following:

wpml/tm/v1
Used for ATE, TP, local jobs (disabling TM will remove those endpoints but blocking these endpoint may break the TM)

wpml/st/v1
Used to import MO files, generate MO files and saving ST settings (disabling ST should remove those endpoints but ST may not work without these endpoints)

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.