This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 19, 2019 at 5:52 am #4048081

simonV-8

Tell us what you are trying to do?

We like to have all images in 2 languages, the files are already in 2 languages, english and german

Is there any documentation that you are following? This documentation I found, not gives me the best settings.

If You have a description what needs to set, right from the beginning, before we start translate would be helpful.

Is there a similar example that we can see? Nope

What is the link to your site?

June 19, 2019 at 6:49 am #4048443

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

The screenshot you have shared with us is the default settings for WPML Media.

usually when WPML Media is installed there is a warning notice asking you to finish the wpml setup or installation. Which runs these settings and makes sure the Media Translation is working.

These are the recommended settings but of course you can customizing them if you wish

Please do let me know if any of these options are not clear but the setup of the WPML Media is automatically done for you so you should be able to start with your translations.

June 19, 2019 at 6:53 am #4048457

simonV-8

Dear Bobby

Indeed, I know this, that they are the "recommended settings". This is why I ask the support, what will be the better settings, if

- we like to use per language one image (english and german)

You might have for those settings more a description or You used to have some experiences.

Regards,

Simon

June 19, 2019 at 7:14 am #4048699

Bobby
Supporter

With WPML Media you dont need to upload one image (ex. img1.png) for English and another for German (ex. img2.png).

you can just upload 1 image and with these settings it will be available in both English and German.

if you wish to add translations to its title for example you can go to WPML->Media Translation

within the same dashboard you can even upload a different image for the secondary language.

For what you need i believe the settings are set correctly.

if for example you dont want to make your featured images available in secondary languages then you can just uncheck the options to "duplicate featured images"

June 19, 2019 at 7:48 am #4049065

simonV-8

Hi Bobby

So the meaning of:

- Translate existing media in all languages
- Duplicate existing media for translated content

is?

As I understand, Translate existing media in all languages will add translation to the existing images. But if we like to have 2 different images, with different text for the file name, I wont need this? Correct?

Duplicate existing media for translated content, means for me, that I will have then one file with the same file name? Correct?

June 19, 2019 at 5:43 pm #4053615

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

Please find the definitions of these options bellow , as well as the definitions of all the options can be found here https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/ (all the way to the bottom of the page)

Translate existing media in all languages – duplicates existing media into all languages.

[essentially this will make the media from your default language available to your translations]

ex. you have uploaded image1.png , then this will make imge1.png accesible in all languagaes no need to upload it again for the rest of the languages, and if you want for example imge1.png to be different in secondary languages then you can use WPML->Media Translation.

i recommend leaving this option if your goal is as i have described above.

-------------

Duplicate existing media for translated content – goes through all existing content. If there is a translation and the content has media, it will update the translated content with the corresponding translated media.

[this is for content that you have translated that include media , this will make sure the images will show correctly ]

The topic ‘[Closed] What is the best practice for the settings of media translation?’ is closed to new replies.