This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by petrJ-7 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 3:37 pm #2791206

petrJ-7

Hi,

What is the Real Purpose of Translate Link Targets?

On the other thread (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-link-targets-2/), there is the answer, that it has something to do with the Sticky links (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/sticky-links/).

Well, if so:
- Why is it in the settings, even thought Sticky links are not activated?
- Why it has the different names (Link Targets / Sticky Links)?

So, even though I dont want to use Sticky Links it offers me (very aggressivelly, with a "danger sign") an advice to run it every time, something has changed. When I do so, it starts processing over 20 000 links, which takes about an hour (!!!!). After an hour of work, the result is "0 links were changed".

So please, explain me:
- What is this feature for?
- Do I need it?
- If I decide not to use it, how can I turn it off?

Thanks
Petr

October 8, 2018 at 9:01 pm #2797321

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Sticky Links and Translate Link Targets are not the same, which is why you still see the translate links in the settings even when Sticky Links is deactivated.

With Sticky Links enabled, Instead of storing the URL of that page at the time the link was created, it stores the page number. This way the URL won't break if the slug or permalink structure is changed. Then, when the page is displayed, WPML inserts the permalink of the page you are linking to.

Translate Link Targets will add the URL translations to your links, so it's meant to be a shortcut or alternative to manually translating all of the URLs when you add links to your pages.

Neither Stickly Links or the Translate Link Targets is required but as of right now, I don't have a way to disable the message that about translating links. Is there not an "x" option to allow you to dismiss the message?

October 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm #2797435

petrJ-7

Hi Lauen,

thanks for your reply.

No, there is no X button for dismissing the message (see the screenshot). And to be honest, this function is making me nervous, since there is a warning sign next to it and when I let it to do its job, it takes it an hour of counting 20 000+ links. Jeez, 20 000 links! Where they came from?

There are 70 simple pages (including posts and CPTs, that's the number from sitemap.xml) and hardly 50 images. I would understand 1000 links with all the combinations, but 20 000+?

I don't want such a function to be active at all (if I don't know what exactly it's doing and if isn't necessary).

So to make it clear: I don't want to turn off the message, I want to turn off the whole function.

And just out of couriosity: if this function has nothing to do with Sticky Links, why there was this answer from your colleague? https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-link-targets-2/

Thanks
Petr

October 9, 2018 at 4:26 pm #2801096

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Currently there is no way to turn this function off, but I checked with our developers and they agree that it is safe to ignore it. I am honestly not sure why the number of links is so high. I would suggest if you want to try and run the process, try disabling all non WPML plugins and then try to run it and see if it runs correctly. If you prefer not to run it then you can simply ignore the message. You may also be able to hide the message using CSS, if you prefer. Unfortunately, there is no way to simply "turn it off".

As for the reply in the other ticket, I can't really explain that. Sticky Links stores the page ID instead of the URL, where as Translate link targets translates the links in the secondary languages.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to help.

October 18, 2018 at 10:33 am #2827619

petrJ-7

Is this thread still open?

October 18, 2018 at 10:47 am #2827679

petrJ-7

OK, it seems I can still write here...

Concerning the lowering the number of translated links/strinks by disabling the plugins - well no, the number of links stayes the same after disabling all the plugins except WPML and Elementor.

Could you plese forward this issue to someone who actually knows, what this feature does and why it is processing 20k+ strings?

It's making me nervous that your plugin is doing stuff I have no control on. And just to mention - I'm not the only one with this problem - see similar questiion with a similarly insufficient answer: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-link-targets-takes-very-long/

Just to mention: this feature scans the whole 20k+ strings every time it is used. It starts with the new ones (e.g. "Processing strings... 1 of 22"), but immediatelly after it's done with these, it automatically starts scanning the full load again!

Thanks