What settings should I use, when I don't want to translate media, but use media in all languages?
**What we want:**
* Upload media, edit media (alt, description,... ) only in English
* Use the English media in all languages (use english texts)
* (Don't want to translate media at all, always use English)
The settings for media translation are totally unclear. The descriptions of the options in the documentation aren't helping either.
* We upload an images in Englisch. It get's an automatic name generated from the file name "IMG_123"
* this gets duplicated in other languages
* now we edit the attributes in English only
* all other languages still have the generated names <- we don't want this.
Languages: English (English )Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )
Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)
Thank you for contacting WPML Support. In this case you have the option to make all the media content as 'Not translatable' in your website, for that, please proceed this way:
1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation click to unlock the translation preferences for this particular post type and check the 'Not translatable' for your Media (attachment)' post type.
You also can experiment this approach:
2 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation check the 'Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language' for your Media (attachment)' post type.
3 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Media Translation > How to handle media for new content: check this option 'When uploading media to the Media library, make it available in all languages' and keep the other ones unchecked.