Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am asked to change the locale EN, DE, FR & NL to one of the values that are suggested. The only concern I have is that I don't want this operation to change the slug that is used for the different languages. Are these slugs defined by the LANGUAGE TAG in the second screenshot?

Solution: Directory URL structure comes from the Code value, so it won't affect your URL structure.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
July 14, 2017 at 6:49 am #1319342

lucM-5

Hi,

Recently I activated a new language on crowdbeamer.com: PT-PT. Before, I already had EN, DE, FR & NL active.

Immediately after activation of PT-PT, a message was generated by WPML - see attached screenshot.

If I understand correctly, I am asked to change the locale EN, DE, FR & NL to one of the values that are suggested. The only concern I have is that I don't want this operation to change the slug that is used for the different languages.

Are these slugs defined by the LANGUAGE TAG in the second screenshot?

So, if I understand right, I should change the DEFAULT LOCALE but should leave the LANGUAGE TAG as it is. Then URLs will remain
crowdbeamer/nl/... crowdbeamer/fr/.... crowdbeamer/de/....

as before.

Can you pls confirm?

Thanks,
Luc

July 14, 2017 at 9:01 am #1319467

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello Luc,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

Exactly, Luc. If you want that WPML is able to download your WordPress translation files automatically, we need that the Default locale matches the one from the original translations provided by WordPress itself.

About the slug, it comes from the Code value, so you don't need to worry about this change as it won't affect your URL structure.

Does it clarifies your question?

Best regards,
Andrés

July 14, 2017 at 9:11 am #1319476

lucM-5

Hi Andrès,

Thanks for confirming. I just wanted to be sure before changing anything 🙂

Luc

July 14, 2017 at 9:58 am #1319523

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Great, have a nice day!
Andrés