This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
September 13, 2019 at 8:49 pm #4570745

baderK

Haven't been able to find information that's clear enough to proceed.

1. What I would like to happen is that media is NOT duplicated, whatsoever. All languages point to media from default language (en). Are these settings correct? (hidden link)

2. These settings haven't always been the case like this. How do I look for duplicated images to delete without affecting default language media?

3. If I switch to secondary language and view media, and delete all, what would happen? Will all the secondary language posts refer to default language media?

Thank you.

September 15, 2019 at 7:25 am #4574065

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1,2 )
When you duplicate a media it's NOT really duplicate the real media and past it to your other languages.
It duplicate the link of the media and shows there..
so you do not have to worry anything about this. 🙂

3. If I switch to secondary language and view media, and delete all, what would happen? Will all the secondary language posts refer to default language media?
- yes

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,
Riffaz.

September 16, 2019 at 5:59 am #4576397

baderK

Thank you Riffaz for your help.

1/2, this is clear, thank you.

3, just to be on the safe side with my understanding. Deleting the Media in the secondary language, will NOT delete the original media, correct? Also, those secondary language articles will revert back to default language media, correct?

4, if I delete the media in the point above, will the secondary language articles recreate new reference images to the original media?

September 16, 2019 at 2:51 pm #4581667

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

2,3) yes, yes

4) yes, just make sure you have enable the option "when uploading media to library make it available in all languages": hidden link
Refer: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#media-translation-settings

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,