This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When plugin is activated I get the error: "The website is experiencing technical difficulties." Once the debug information is provided I will deactivate the plugin.

Solution: I followed this steps in the site and I had no issue: - Updated all outdated plugins and themes. - Deactivated all plugins. - Activated Divi parent theme. - Activated WPML Multilingual CMS. - Activated the other WPML plugins. - Activated the Divi child theme. - Activated the remaining plugins.

Please access the test site with the credentials provided and confirm that there is no issue. Then apply the same steps in the live site after creating a full backup.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4128185

jamesB-32

I am trying to: activate WPML Multilingual CMS

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:
When plugin is activated I get the error: "The website is experiencing technical difficulties." Once the debug information is provided I will deactivate the plugin.

The site is running the latest version of WP, theme and plugins. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
James

July 2, 2019 at 4:57 pm #4128955

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello James,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes, specially WPML plugins. Outdated functionalities can cause conflicts in the code.
- Flush any cache memory that might exists.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Kind regards,
Carlos

July 12, 2019 at 2:35 pm #4199861

jamesB-32

Hi Carols,

Big apologies for the very late reply to this. I have been away and also been chatting to the hosting company.

They inform me that the Max_Memory_Limit is already set to 128meg and they have uploaded a phpinfo() file on the server to show you: hidden link - they are asking: "Can you ask the plugin devs where their plugin pulls the PHP Max Memory value from?"

With the aid of the hosting company, we have done the above and came to the conclusion that the "WPML Multilingual CMS" plugin was causing the issue.

It is strange as I have a few other websites with WPML and they are all working fine..? The only thing I can see is the PHP version for this website is 5.6.36, where as the other site's have a PHP version 7.3.7. Could this be a problem?

Big thanks
James

July 18, 2019 at 10:33 am #4237483

jamesB-32

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the instructions... The migration was a success and you should now be able to access a version of the site.

Many thanks,
James

July 18, 2019 at 3:17 pm #4240095

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi James,
Thank you very much for keeping me updated.

I'm sorry but I forgot to request the credentials to access the live site. I have set your next answer private and there you will find the fields to provide the correspondent credentials.

Looking forward to your message.
Regards,
Carlos

July 19, 2019 at 1:08 pm #4246653

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi James,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

I followed this steps in the site and I had no issue:
- Updated all outdated plugins and themes.
- Deactivated all plugins.
- Activated Divi parent theme.
- Activated WPML Multilingual CMS.
- Activated the other WPML plugins.
- Activated the Divi child theme.
- Activated the remaining plugins.

Please access the test site (hidden link) with the credentials provided and confirm that there is no issue. Then apply the same steps in the live site after creating a full backup.

Could you confirm that the issue is solved?

Regards,
Carlos

July 19, 2019 at 2:25 pm #4246979

jamesB-32

Hi Carlos,

I just went to the test site... I do not see the ability to change the language.

Thanks,
James

July 19, 2019 at 2:42 pm #4247041

jamesB-32

The language selector was not on page for some reason... I will add it to the page and hopefully, it should work. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
James

July 19, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4247051

jamesB-32

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

July 19, 2019 at 3:37 pm #4247191

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi James,

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos