This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.65 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marketingD-3 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
April 15, 2019 at 3:17 pm

marketingD-3

I am duplicating some pages to Spanish and I expect to see those Spanish pages with the same hierarchy was the English pages (original ones). However, they don't hold any hierarchy.

April 15, 2019 at 4:29 pm
April 16, 2019 at 4:28 pm #3624033

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I enabled the wp_debug option and found there are multiple issues with your database, which explain the problem with duplication.

I tried to create new pages to see if the problem still existed, but it seems I'm not allowed to.
The suggestion I got from 2nd tier is to create new pages, but since they are many I think you would prefer another solution.

In that case, I need to escalate the ticket and to do that I need a copy of the site. I tried using Duplicator, which is our preferred option, but it seems I can't do that due to host setup constraints (probably the time limit is not enough). I cannot even take the database backup.

Could you see if there are some other options for us to get a copy of the site?

April 18, 2019 at 8:50 pm #3641841

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

Sorry for my delayed response. I was preparing the site to be able to share the files with you. It is ready now, so, could you please allow a private message to put the URL there? Our hosting provider, WPEngine, allows us to download a zip file of the site.

Do you mind telling me what you saw with the wp_debug?

Thank you.

April 19, 2019 at 10:46 am #3645037

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

you can check the errors yourself, just open the file wp-content/debug.log in your site.

I'll enable a private reply.

April 24, 2019 at 1:56 pm
April 27, 2019 at 6:37 am #3694669

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

sorry for the delay in response but we had a high workload due to our latest release and it was also a holiday in Italy.

I checked your .zip file, but without the database, I can't recreate your site. I could access the site and take it, but I would need to install a plugin to do so (I would use Duplicator).

Also, I can see several "language folder" to define them, could you explain to me why did you create them and for what do you use them for?

April 29, 2019 at 1:47 pm #3704003

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

No problem. Thank you so much for taking the time and reviewing the site and helping us.

The database file is located in the wp-content folder.

I created those folders to serve static content for the languages that aren't finished yet.

April 29, 2019 at 5:26 pm #3705807

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenience, I didn't notice the file.
I escalated the ticket to our 2nd tiers, I'll let you know as soon as possible

May 2, 2019 at 7:13 pm #3728611

marketingD-3

Hello,

I've found that in the table wp_icl_translations there are rows with NULL in the element_id field. Those are causing a database error logged in debug.log about a UPDATE that fails because the trid and language_code already exist and there is an index that prevents of duplication. So I deleted the pages that were duplicated from the original language, deleted the rows with NULL value and re-duplicate the pages in translator management and now the hierarchy is preserved and the translation status is correct.

The question now is if what I did: deleting those rows containing NULL in element_id is a good way to fix this problem.

All above I did on a copy of the site, so the site that you guys have access was untouched.

Please let me know, I would really appreciate.

May 3, 2019 at 11:28 am #3733825

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

yes, I'm aware of the database errors, I signaled them to the 2nd tiers already.

If removing the rows didn't cause any other issues I think it can work, but I asked for a confirmation.

May 3, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3736451

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

Since I know that changes made directly in the database might cause other issues, maybe there is data in other tables referenced. I rather wait to get a confirmation. However, we are hitting deadlines here and we would like to know if we could get an answer by Monday.

Thanks a lot.

May 4, 2019 at 8:56 am #3739577

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

we have reduced workforce during the weekend, so no, I don't think it's possible to have an answer before Monday.
I can suggest to backup everything before applying the changes, so in case something is wrong you can rollback.

May 10, 2019 at 7:02 am #3781797

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

here is a reply from 2nd tier:
"There is a risk for that.
We had a similar issue, related to ATE translation.
When you translate by ATE, the element_id becomes NULL until the translation is delivered and that delivery was triggering only on visiting WPML > Translations page.
Further than that - this is a suitable and valid workaround."

May 10, 2019 at 2:45 pm #3785673

marketingD-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!