This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marketingD-3 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
April 15, 2019 at 3:17 pm

marketingD-3

I am duplicating some pages to Spanish and I expect to see those Spanish pages with the same hierarchy was the English pages (original ones). However, they don't hold any hierarchy.

April 15, 2019 at 4:29 pm
April 16, 2019 at 4:28 pm #3624033

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I enabled the wp_debug option and found there are multiple issues with your database, which explain the problem with duplication.

I tried to create new pages to see if the problem still existed, but it seems I'm not allowed to.
The suggestion I got from 2nd tier is to create new pages, but since they are many I think you would prefer another solution.

In that case, I need to escalate the ticket and to do that I need a copy of the site. I tried using Duplicator, which is our preferred option, but it seems I can't do that due to host setup constraints (probably the time limit is not enough). I cannot even take the database backup.

Could you see if there are some other options for us to get a copy of the site?

April 18, 2019 at 8:50 pm #3641841

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

Sorry for my delayed response. I was preparing the site to be able to share the files with you. It is ready now, so, could you please allow a private message to put the URL there? Our hosting provider, WPEngine, allows us to download a zip file of the site.

Do you mind telling me what you saw with the wp_debug?

Thank you.

April 19, 2019 at 10:46 am #3645037

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

you can check the errors yourself, just open the file wp-content/debug.log in your site.

I'll enable a private reply.

April 24, 2019 at 1:56 pm
April 27, 2019 at 6:37 am #3694669

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

sorry for the delay in response but we had a high workload due to our latest release and it was also a holiday in Italy.

I checked your .zip file, but without the database, I can't recreate your site. I could access the site and take it, but I would need to install a plugin to do so (I would use Duplicator).

Also, I can see several "language folder" to define them, could you explain to me why did you create them and for what do you use them for?

April 29, 2019 at 1:47 pm #3704003

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

No problem. Thank you so much for taking the time and reviewing the site and helping us.

The database file is located in the wp-content folder.

I created those folders to serve static content for the languages that aren't finished yet.

April 29, 2019 at 5:26 pm #3705807

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenience, I didn't notice the file.
I escalated the ticket to our 2nd tiers, I'll let you know as soon as possible

May 2, 2019 at 7:13 pm #3728611

marketingD-3

Hello,

I've found that in the table wp_icl_translations there are rows with NULL in the element_id field. Those are causing a database error logged in debug.log about a UPDATE that fails because the trid and language_code already exist and there is an index that prevents of duplication. So I deleted the pages that were duplicated from the original language, deleted the rows with NULL value and re-duplicate the pages in translator management and now the hierarchy is preserved and the translation status is correct.

The question now is if what I did: deleting those rows containing NULL in element_id is a good way to fix this problem.

All above I did on a copy of the site, so the site that you guys have access was untouched.

Please let me know, I would really appreciate.

May 3, 2019 at 11:28 am #3733825

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

yes, I'm aware of the database errors, I signaled them to the 2nd tiers already.

If removing the rows didn't cause any other issues I think it can work, but I asked for a confirmation.

May 3, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3736451

marketingD-3

Hi Laura,

Since I know that changes made directly in the database might cause other issues, maybe there is data in other tables referenced. I rather wait to get a confirmation. However, we are hitting deadlines here and we would like to know if we could get an answer by Monday.

Thanks a lot.

May 4, 2019 at 8:56 am #3739577

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

we have reduced workforce during the weekend, so no, I don't think it's possible to have an answer before Monday.
I can suggest to backup everything before applying the changes, so in case something is wrong you can rollback.

May 10, 2019 at 7:02 am #3781797

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

here is a reply from 2nd tier:
"There is a risk for that.
We had a similar issue, related to ATE translation.
When you translate by ATE, the element_id becomes NULL until the translation is delivered and that delivery was triggering only on visiting WPML > Translations page.
Further than that - this is a suitable and valid workaround."

May 10, 2019 at 2:45 pm #3785673

marketingD-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!