Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
When I enlarge the flags from the language selector, the resolution is distorted

Solution:
PNG flags are automatically resized to be 18 x 12 px. You can switch to using SVG flags by changing the setting in WPML → Languages, or you can change the flag sizes as explained in the following documentation: Using Custom Flags in WPML

Relevant Documentation:
Using Custom Flags in WPML

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author Posts
November 29, 2022 at 11:45 pm #12558943

emreT-2

When I enlarge the flags from the language selector, the resolution is distorted

flag-error.JPG
November 30, 2022 at 11:08 am #12562109

Nigel
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

The language flags in WPML—including when you upload custom flag graphics—are hard-coded to be 18 x 12 px, and we don't currently have plans to change that.

There is a fairly simple workaround, whereby when you upload custom flag graphics while editing languages at WPML > Languages, it is re-sized to 18 x 12 px and the re-sized file is uploaded to wp-content/uploads/flags/.

So with FTP (or a File Manager plugin) you can simply swap out the flag graphic file in the flags/ folder with a different sized image of the same name.

This has come up a couple of times recently, so I'm pushing internally for us to change this and offer more flexibility when it comes to the sizes of the flag images.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.