This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
September 19, 2018 at 6:25 am #2747334

desireeD-2

Hi,
I created a post using Gutenberg 3.8.0. The post makes use of paragraph and heading blocks (screenshot 01). In the primary language, everything works as expexted in the frontend: The paragraph blocks are rendered between <p> tags, the H4 headings in <h4> tags (screenshot 04). In the German translation, however, the <p> tags were removed (screenshot 05), which changes the layout and the typography. The <h4> tags made it into the German translation.

In the translation editor, I simply copied the content in the "visual" view (screenshot 02). The <h4> tags are visible in both languages, the <p> tags not (screenshot 03). So, in the translation editor, the <p> tags were already removed from the primary language.

Can you explain this behaviour or name a solution? Is Gutenberg not fully supported yet?

Of course I could add the tags manually in the translation, but that's not the way it should work.

Thanks.

September 19, 2018 at 11:50 pm #2750172

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I have test this in a fresh new install with the latest WPML plugins and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. This points to an interacction issue with a third party functionality.

I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.
Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Kind regards,
Carlos

September 20, 2018 at 1:28 am #2750232

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I have test this in a fresh new install with the latest WPML plugins and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. This points to an interacction issue with a third party functionality.

I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.
Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Kind regards,
Carlos

September 20, 2018 at 11:01 am #2751828

desireeD-2

Hi Carlos,

I deactivated the plugins except Gutenberg and WPML plugins and I changed the theme - makes no difference.

In the meantime, I have discovered the following behavior:
- If I translate the post in text mode only and copy from English to German, the tags are preserved. The tags are also preserved after editing and saving the translation and reopening the translation editor again -> works (001.png). Maybe this is what you tried and therefore you noticed no problem.
- If I switch to visual mode while translating, and then back to text mode again, the <p> tags have been removed from both English and German (002.png and 003.png).
- If I then click save and close and reopen the translation again in text mode, the <p> tags appear again in the primary language (English), but remain lost in the German translation (004.png).

So, the bottom line is: Translation in text/html mode works, but visual mode deletes the <p> tags. This seems like a bug to me which makes the translation editor almost unusable for my editors, as they are not used to working in HTML. Maybe the problem lies in the built-in WYSIWYG editor in the translation editor?

This guy here has exactly the same problem with Elementor (and Gutenberg is also a kind of page builder): https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translation-editor-with-elementor-visual-mode-deletes-html-tags-from-text/

Any help welcome, thanks.

September 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm #2753170

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your message.

This time I was able to reproduce the issue. I have escalated this ticket to our compatibility team.

I will get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Thank you very much for your understanding!
Best regards,
Carlos

September 24, 2018 at 8:56 am #2759844

desireeD-2

Hi Carlos, will I get informed as soon as the issue has been solved?

September 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm #2761418

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, I will keep you updated, I will let you know as soon as we have an answer.

Thank you very much for your understanding!
Best regards,
Carlos

September 27, 2018 at 6:44 pm #2771601

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
I'm sorry for the delayed answer.

This issue will be fixed in future versions of the plugin. When exactly our developers will release a Update including the required Fix is not up-to us Supporters to determine. However, our developers are working already on this, which means it should be fixed soon.

Please let me know if you need further assistance and I will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos