This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.66 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
August 1, 2017 at 7:58 pm #1332711

The J

I have been working with WPML for a few years now, so I know it fairly well... however this kind of scenario, has come up several times, and it's obvious something is missing from the WPML options.

While developing a site for a client, I came across a scenario where:

- there are 2 languages
- some parts of the site will NOT be translated to second language (eg. the woocommerce store and some custom taxonomies must always show in the main lang only)

What is needed:

- add the custom taxonomy archive menu item (which does NOT have a translation) to the second language menu
Currently, when I add the item, upon save, it gets deleted... maybe because it doesnt exist in the second language? Why cant we decide whether to show it anyway, even if it's not translated (and we dont plan to)? a mixed language website isnt necessarily a bad thing or unwanted.

- while on this archive, still display, in the lang switcher (without requiring custom code), the second language selection
Basically, if I WANT the main language to display anyway in a certain content, while browsing in the second language, the plugin shouldnt hide away the lang selector AND we should have the option to retain the second language selection from user.
Instead, if user chooses the second lang, then goes to a page that is not (and will never be) translated in that lang through a direct link, the lang selection automatically reverts to the main language.... makes sense for a lot of scenarios, but not all.

So my questions are:

- can you add an option to WPML where we can choose what happens in frontend, in case user chooses lang 2, but is viewing for some reason a content in the main lang
- can you allow for a menu item to be added to lang 2, even if that content doesnt have a translation in lang 2?

I understand why it currently behaves like this, I just wished you considered a scenario of a mixed lang site, since it's not that uncommon.

.... also, any current solution for this, without elaborate hacks or workarounds? 🙂

Thanks!

August 2, 2017 at 12:51 am #1332798

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support,

I understand these two requests

- can you add an option to WPML where we can choose what happens in frontend, in case user chooses lang 2, but is viewing for some reason a content in the main lang
- can you allow for a menu item to be added to lang 2, even if that content doesnt have a translation in lang 2?

I have added both to our Feature Request list to be reviewed by our development team for further consideration.

Each issue or feature request reported in is taken seriously into consideration.

It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors.
Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.

Thank you for sending us this request. Have a wonderful day.

The topic ‘[Closed] When item is not translatable, it doesnt show in menu’ is closed to new replies.