This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
When changing my site to use a right to left language with the Genesis theme, I get an overlap in text extending beyond the content boundaries.

Solution:
Add the following code to your CSS file:

.genesis-nav-menu .sub-menu {
    left: auto;
    right: auto;
}

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tia 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
May 8, 2016 at 1:15 am #877593

baluchistanF

I am trying to: translate my English language content to Persian (Farsi).

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: The same size page width for English and Farsi content, as well as proper text justification for Farsi text.

Instead, I got: When I change to Farsi language, the overall width of my page is dramatically increased (creating a massive horizontal scrollbar on the browser). Also, Farsi text routinely extrudes outside of the bounds of my Genesis theme (which is listed as supported).

Steps to duplicate the issue: Go to English page, change language. Notice scrollbar on the bottom.

May 9, 2016 at 6:46 pm #878592

Tia

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

This appears to be a theme or CSS related issue.

Can you tell me if you already checked the following? This will help narrow down the issue:

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

A. Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

B. Minimal Set Up ( 1. All plugins except WPML disabled 2. and then temporarily changing the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen ).

C. If the issue is gone after Minimal Set Up steps above, activate each plugin one by one to find out which plugin is causing the issue.

Does the issue still persist when you do each step above?

Thank you in advance for the information above. This will help me come to a faster resolution.

May 12, 2016 at 12:58 am #880683

baluchistanF

So plugins aren't affecting it but the theme is. But I'm using Genesis framework which is on your list of approved themes.

May 12, 2016 at 7:49 pm #881511

Tia

Please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just the first 50 lines or so will do. Please censor sensitive information.

I can enable the private box if you want to pass a private link from Google Drive or Dropbox instead. Just ask me to enable the private box.

Please go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Look for 'Clean up' and click the following:
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information

May 12, 2016 at 9:33 pm #881559

baluchistanF

For anyone else who has this issue with a Genesis-based theme, the solution is simply to add the following code to your CSS file:

.genesis-nav-menu .sub-menu {
left: auto;
right: auto;
}

To be completely honest, Genesis Framework is listed as fully-supported by your plugin, your business is language translations, and many languages are RTL. Therefore, it's not unreasonable for a customer to expect that the above issue should be common knowledge for your support staff if not already built into your plugin. Regardless, it should not have required hours and hours of debugging on my part and being led through textbook debugging solutions. There's a reason developer's pay for premium plugins and I'm disappointed with the support.

May 12, 2016 at 10:01 pm #881573

Tia

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed. Apologies for not clarifying our process sooner.

There are certain steps we must take to rule out other plugins, themes, etc.

Even though the theme is listed as compatible there are other issues that can affect it: WordPress settings, WordPress updates, plugin settings, plugin updates, hosting environment, even theme updates and customizations.

Since we are not familiar with your particular set up we ask questions & take debugging steps to narrow down the cause. Every customer's set up is slightly different as hosting environments, WordPress settings, plugins, custom theme tweaks, etc, are all going to be different.

Ensuring there is nothing in the debug log and display issues weren't a result of WPML cache, this was the next critical step to narrowing down the issue. I already suspected it was a CSS issue but I cannot work by assumptions without having evidence. (example: It is time consuming to list all the potential causes and potential solutions. )

It is more effective to take a few debugging steps so we have a much more narrow focus of where the problem comes from. For instance, display issues can be caused by cache which is why the clean up process is necessary. Display issues can also be caused by PHP errors which is the reason for asking for the debug log.

If there was nothing in debug log and clean up steps failed, our next step together would have been for me to login to your website for further investigation. I would have been able to find the exact cause had we continued debugging. It is our policy and good tech support to not assume things but to carefully debug and test every step of the way.

Hope that clarifies our process. Please let me know if you have any questions.

May 12, 2016 at 11:18 pm #881593

baluchistanF

Hi Tia,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I stand corrected, please accept my apologies. Thanks for your help debugging and please feel free to mark this issue as solved.

May 13, 2016 at 12:28 am #881600

Tia

It's not a problem. I certainly understand your frustration. I appreciate you taking the time to post the solution for others.

The ticket has been marked as resolved. Please come back if you have other issues.