This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by stevenG-13 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
September 24, 2018 at 1:49 pm #2760663

stevenG-13

I am trying to:

Translate our commerce store.

When translating woocommerce categories it seems to create a new category in the language it was translated in. But with 0 products. I wouldnt want to duplucate all these products because they are many and i am currently using 6 different languages.

I actually just would love to keep pretty much everything the same, but just have the menu items show a different text, for each of the languages.

Is that possible,

Thanks in advance!

September 25, 2018 at 12:46 pm #2763817

stevenG-13

Hi there, i have been playing around with this a little more today and indeed everytime i translate a new category, it disappears and only shows when i translate certain products within that category also. I dont want to do this for each and every product.

Preferable id like to translate ONLY the menu item's and leave everything else the same.
If this is not possible, id like to delete the translations for the menu's so far but cant find where i can do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven Goos
Sky Watersports

September 25, 2018 at 5:36 pm #2764861

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.
If you don't want to translate categories and products but just the navigation what you can do is translate your menu in Appearance -> Menus.
Select the appropriate menu (if you have many), and click the "+" icon (or pencil icon) to create a translation for that menu. Refer to the image below as a reference.
In the translation, use Custom Links that point to the product category link in the original language.

September 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm #2767074

stevenG-13

Thank you Ricardo,

I have started to translate some of overhad menu's.
However i'd like to do the same thing with the woocommerce categories. shown on the left. But without creating additional categories for eachlanguage. which seems to happen automatically.

This is why some menu items disappaars on the left product category tree. (Unless i also duplicate all the products.) Since there are over 2000 products, i prefer not to duplicate all these products to six different languages.

Is there a way to translate the categories (showing on the left with the correct amount of products per category) without having to duplicate all the products?

Also if there is no way to do this, can i undo everything i did so far so that all languages are treaded the same? Because i couldnt find where to delete product category translations.

thank you
Steven Goos

September 27, 2018 at 4:42 am #2769309

Ricardo Alday

Hi Steven,

I'm afraid that will not be possible. The sidebar dynamically populates the category name and product amount based on the translation so it's not as simple as what I suggested with the menu.

To undo the change simply edit your translated menu again. Remove the custom links and add links to the translated categories using the "Product Category" panel on the left.

To summarise, you need to a) translate products or b) use custom programming to achieve that. In that case, I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project. Before doing so please have a look also here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

Best regards,
Ricardo

September 27, 2018 at 10:06 am #2770044

stevenG-13

Thank you Ricardo, now i know.

October 3, 2018 at 9:01 am #2783981

stevenG-13

Hi there, for some reason i was not able to create a new support ticket somehow. So am trying it this way:

After creating product duplicates with wpml, somehow the product grid seems to show a different number of products than the main language.

For example is you compare:

hidden link

With

hidden link

As you can see, on the italian page it only shows a few products on the first page, en then a lot more on the second page.

Do you know what could be causing this?
You help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Steven Goos