This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
February 5, 2020 at 8:50 pm #5434173

andyB-7

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Update a custom post

Is there any documentation that you are following? No

Is there a similar example that we can see? Yes

What is the link to your site? hidden link

When I update a custom post the featured image is removed from both languages, I have tried to sync the media but I get an error Set initial language: please try again (error)

Thanks

February 6, 2020 at 2:49 pm #5439993

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Could you tell if this custom post type was created by code? Or it came with a third party functionality like a plugin or the theme?

Also, do you see any error message in the Javascrip console of the browser while updating the featured image?

Kind regards,
Carlos

February 6, 2020 at 9:53 pm #5442573

andyB-7

Thanks Carlos, I have gone to test when "save as pending" and it seems to be keeping the featured image. Let me see if the client has another post it is doing it on, perhaps just enabling this has worked.

FYI it is a custom post type by code, is there anything that should be included? I do see a JS error but doesn't give away alot.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<'

Thanks, I will give you an update once I have heard from the client.

February 7, 2020 at 10:15 am #5445429

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you for your update.

In the meantime I recommend you to take a look at our official documentation related CPT: https://wpml.org/tutorials/2016/08/how-to-create-and-translate-custom-post-types/

Best regards,
Carlos

February 12, 2020 at 9:15 pm #5481241

andyB-7

Hi Carlos,

The error still persists, it has translated fine in the past but the plugin has been updated recently I think its due to the media not syncing and displaying this error:

Set initial language: please try again (error)

When you update the english version it seems to remove the featured image for both french and german versions but when you then go in to them and press update it brings the featured image back.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

February 13, 2020 at 12:32 pm #5485883

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

1.- I'm not sure I understand 100% the issue. Could you provide step by step how to reproduce the issue?

2.- Also, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

February 14, 2020 at 11:21 am #5493945

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

I would like to ask you to follow this steps:
- Create a full backup of the site.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes.
- Flush all the cache memory.
- Go to WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation -> Click on the 'Start' button and wait for the process to finish.

Could you tell me if the issue is solved?

Regards,
Carlos

February 18, 2020 at 8:38 pm #5518569

andyB-7

Thanks Carlos, it seems to be running now do you think that will fix the featured image from removing issue?

February 18, 2020 at 10:22 pm #5519015

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

If the issue is solved then the most probable cause was an outdated functionality causing conflicts in the code.

Could you tell me if the issue disappeared in the new posts?

Regards,
Carlos

February 19, 2020 at 8:11 pm #5527323

andyB-7

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for this, once the sync is fully up to date I assume it will just keep telling me its done?

I will test when its ran currently 52900 to go so might take a couple of attempts to complete!

Thanks

February 20, 2020 at 11:33 am #5532481

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

You can sync every time you click on the 'Start' button.

I will be waiting for your message.

Regards,
Carlos