This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client never used some languages like de_DE, fr_FR, it_IT etc. but those languages receive updates in the WordPress updater.

Solution: Simply delete unused langauge packages from wp-content/languages. This should revent that the language updates will be executed.

Relevant Documentation: https://hexad.org/dev/wordpress-stop-unused-language-updates

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ben 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 10, 2019 at 10:58 am #3783453

Ben

I've never used de_DE, fr_FR, it_IT etc so why do those languages update when I update languages in the WordPress updater?

May 10, 2019 at 1:06 pm #3784589

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

There is a difference between language and locale, maybe what you are seeing is the different locales being downloaded. However this won't make any negative impact in the site.

Kind regards,
Carlos

May 10, 2019 at 1:52 pm #3785161

Ben

Thanks Carlos,

I haven't seen this happening before I installed WPML. In WP it says there are language updates to be done.

I was just wondering why this is happening for all those languages that I'm not even using?

Thanks,

Ben

May 13, 2019 at 3:55 pm #3800343

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Could you please got to WPML -> Languages -> Site languages and verify if yoi receive any notfication about previous installed language versions?

Further, WPML comes with the wp-icl-languages which includes 60 pre-configured languages. Might it be that you are referring to updates for these languages? In case WordPress updates their language files WPML might ask for updates.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/pre-configured-languages/

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 16, 2019 at 5:15 am #3822041

Ben

Hello again,

OK, I recorded this video so you can see what I mean.
hidden link
Check in the end of the video all those languages installed for WP, a few of the plugins and the theme. Why?

Thanks,

Ben

May 16, 2019 at 3:55 pm #3827739

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Please have a look at the following documentation:

hidden link

Simply delete unused langauge packages from wp-content/languages.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 17, 2019 at 5:49 am #3831499

Ben

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!