This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by michaelJ-39 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
March 24, 2020 at 9:05 pm #5755047

michaelJ-39

I don't see Tagolog or Philippines or Filipino. What shall I use?

March 25, 2020 at 6:10 am #5757231

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Tagalog does not come with WPML but you can add any language you want using WPML.

You can add the languages here : hidden link

Let's say, you are using the Australian and New Zealand English which are not pre-configured.

'Add custom language' is the best way and user-friendly to add the variations of languages.

You can add it from WPML > languages > Site Languages > Edit Languages : hidden link
Now click on "Add Language" button : hidden link

Fill the generated row as:

Code
a unique value that identifies the language. Once entered, the language code cannot be changed.

Translations
the way the language name will be displayed in different languages.

Flag
the flag to display next to the language (optional). You can either upload your own flag or use one of WPML's built-in flag images.

Default locale
This determines the locale value for this language. You should check the name of WordPress localization file to set this correctly.

Encode URLs
yes/no, determines if URLs in this language are encoded or use ASCII characters (leave ‘no’ if you are not sure).

hreflang
the code Google expects for this language. The hreflang should contain at least the language code (usually, made of two letters), or, if you want to specify the country/region, it should be the same information as the locale name, but in a slightly different format. If the locale for Canadian French is fr_CA, the corresponding hreflang would be fr-ca. Instead of an underscore, use a dash (-) and all letters should be lowercase.

Example for American English:

name = Your choice
code = en-us
hreflang = en-US (since this is only for English users who are from USA)
locale = en_US
flag = Your own graphic

You can add Tagalog in same way.

Please refer:
1. A complete list of Locale Code: hidden link
2. How to create / decide 'hreflang' : https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags (important)

A quick video : hidden link

Hope, this will help you.

Let me know.

Regards,
Riffaz.

March 26, 2020 at 7:27 pm #5773347

michaelJ-39

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!