If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nuriG 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 3, 2019 at 8:16 pm #4691269

nuriG

I read your documentation about the types of localisation, but it's soo not clear at all. You explain things as if users know already everything about it. You should explain more simply.

I still do not understand what is the benefit of using .mo files as backup or not. Please be clear and do not forward me copy-pasted stuffs from other pages as an answer.

October 3, 2019 at 8:42 pm #4691367

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi There,

The benefit is Performance.

When using the option to "not load .mo" files there will be no communication with WPML and the database to query the .mo files

On the other hand when you use the option to "load .mo files as backup" there will be more queries in the database but a lot of default strings will be translated by using the .mo file (as long as translation exists in the .mo file ) rather than you having to translate them manually.

excerpt from the Documentation:

"WPML will fall back to .mo file translations if those exist in your theme and plugins. This means that if you see a translated text string in your site which does not seem to appear under String Translation, it is very likely that the translation comes from a .mo file in your theme or plugin."

October 3, 2019 at 8:50 pm #4691373

nuriG

I intend to use WPML and only WPML to make all my translations, ok. I will not use anything else, neither manual translations file nor any other plugins. All I want to use to translate the strings in the editor available in the plugin.

In this situation, what do you recommend?

October 3, 2019 at 10:02 pm #4691575

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello,

You can then select the option to "not load .mo files" as this will favor your site's performance as well.

The use of WPML String Translation will allow you to manually translate any strings that might come from your theme and or your plugins as well.

October 6, 2019 at 3:36 pm #4702699

nuriG

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!