Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
May 6, 2020 at 6:50 pm #6074073

mathieulaflamme

Hi
So I'm trying to use string translation to translate a few forms on my site, and my menu, but when I just went to the string translation page and scanned it came back with over 7000! items to translate! So I assume something must be wrong here. For example, one of 3 forms I have on my site looks like this hidden link
I only need to translate what the client will see and not all the code! or whatever crazy things are being suggested I translate. And these 7000+ results are only for one plug in! But aside from that, I don't understand how to manage translating things that is only seen on the front end, and not that back end. Can you please help?

What is the link to your site?

May 7, 2020 at 8:20 pm #6083921

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. When you make use of the WPML scan feature to parse plugin/theme code for string registration it will read the entire source code and register its localized strings for translation, there's no way to limit it. If you want to register just the string that appear in the form, then you can try the auto register feature of the WPML String Translation addon. Here is how:

1 - Delete your current strings you don't need to translate.

2 - Now from the String Translation admin screen click the 'Auto register strings for translation' option and access the page where the form appears again in the frontend

3 - Back in your String Translation admin screen you should see the string related to the form registered for translation.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#auto-register-strings-for-translation

Please, let me know if it helps, have a nice day.

May 8, 2020 at 5:48 am #6086053

mathieulaflamme

Hi
This is very frustrating for me. I thought your plugin was supposed to be simple! Anyway, what you suggested isn't working. I deleted all the string concerning Qform, the form plugin I'm trying to use, I activated the Auto Register feature, went to the page then back and it's now showing me anything, or at least nothing related to the form in question. I tried refreshing the page, and the admin and still nothing. I read the instructions you provided and they didn't give me any further indication of what to do. What else do you suggest? Also, the contact me button at the bottom left of my site, where do I find the strings for this? I've been trying to get this done for days now and nothing is working and I'm worried about damaging my site if I do the wrong thing so I'm very hesitant to make any changes. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.

May 8, 2020 at 6:24 pm #6090947

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Let me try to explain the proper workflow and its implications into details, maybe I am still unclear:

1 - The amount of strings found in a plugin or theme is not an issue with WPML, instead it varies depending on the complexity of the plugin/theme being used, if has many features, the author will provide many localized strings into code and it is what WPML scans in order to make it possible to translate it.

2 - Although your plugin offers 7000 localized string you don't need to translate all of them, you can use the search feature offered by the WPML String Translation addon and translate only those strings relevant to your content and the ones the appears in the website frontend, for example if you form only shows 20 strings from the total of 7000 found in the plugin code, you only need to translate those 20 strings, no need to touch the other ones.

3 - Most theme/plugins offer already translated strings in mo/po files and one these translation exists WPML can read them and use them to save you the effort to translate it again. You should look at the languages folder of you plugin files to confirm if it already offers translations in mo/po files for your language.

4 - That being said, here is the proper workflow to translate any text found in theme/plugins:

4.1 - Let us say your theme comes with a button with the words 'Contact Me', in this case you can proceed to your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Theme and plugins localization and then scan your theme text domain to make all the theme texts available for translation.

4.2 - Once scanned you can proceed to your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > String Translation and enter the desired theme text to be translated in the search input in order to find it.

4.3 - Now you can actually translate it to your language, the same steps can be applied for any plugin text. To summarize:

Scan it at WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Theme and plugins localization

Search the desired text at WordPress Dashboard > WPML > String Translation

Translate it at WordPress Dashboard > WPML > String Translation

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

When a desired text is not found, double check if you scanned the right plugin or make sure this text is really coming from the plugin source code and not for the plugin options in WordPress Dashboard.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-theme-options/

The contact widget at the bottom seems to be set with a particular plugin, in this case you can scan this plugin to find these string for translation or rewiew the plugin settings to confirm if the texts are entered in the plugin options field and if so, to register these strings using the provided tutorial above (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-theme-options/) and then to translate it using String Translation.

Please, let me know if it helps to clarify your questions or if you still need further assistance, have a nice day.

May 19, 2020 at 4:44 pm #6170287

mathieulaflamme

Hi
It's still very frustrating and I can't find strings the way you suggested. For example see screenshot. When I search for strings here or from other plugins they just don't show up. When I follow your instructions and go to WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Theme and plugins localization what I see there isn't helpful at all. in this instance, I went through the 8 pages of AR Plug in strings and can't find a single entry of mine. I just don't know what to do and I'm having a bit of breakdown because I imagined the whole process would be a lot easier than this. How does this make sense? 🙁 Anyway, your email last time was helpful, and I did find some solutions but I feel like I'm still light years away from finding the ones I have left.

May 19, 2020 at 6:54 pm #6171059

mathieulaflamme

Here's another weird thing, for some reason every once in a while my english home page gets switched to french..for no damn reason out of no where. Now I'm stuck for the 3rd time going back to the back end and retranslating the theme home page back to english, only to have it randomly switch back permanetly to french. Why does it take so long to get help! I desperately need your help, I need live, active help. Most companies offer chat support but I have to wait many days for you guys to get back to me please help this is serious to me and I pay as much for your service if not more than many others and it would seem essential that I should be able to get help quickly. Please please please help me figure out why I'm having so many problems.

May 19, 2020 at 7:20 pm #6171279

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates and sorry for any delayed reply here, your issue was marked as solved and this way we stop receiving notifications from it. Also, we offer a chat support here: https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/. As regarding your issues, I would like to check your WordPress Dashboard settings in order to understand the causes and what should be made to fix it, for that, please consider:

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

The topic ‘[Closed] Why are there so many items to translate?’ is closed to new replies.