This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marinoB-2 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
May 12, 2019 at 8:57 pm #3793917

marinoB-2

Hello,

I have about 200 URL's on Google that I need to redirect to the home page or new pages with a different permalink.
In your page: https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/
you strictly suggest not to use the .htaccess - (Similarly to creating real directories, some folks edit their .htaccess files and adding redirect rules. You shouldn’t do this. WPML creates its own redirect rules dynamically.)
Why cannot I use a redirection plugin to fix all my bad or wrong url's on Google? If I use such a method or write directly on the .htaccess file what could happen?

May 13, 2019 at 6:23 am #3795369

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I have about 200 URL's on Google that I need to redirect to the home page or new pages with a different permalink
- you mean old site url that you have to redirect to homepage to keep your google rank right?
- of course you can do this.

you strictly suggest not to use the .htaccess
- this is for creating language directories like /en/
- because WPML will create virtual directories for this and that will interfere with your custom rules.

Why cannot I use a redirection plugin to fix all my bad or wrong url's on Google?
- in your case you can because you are fixing bad links or redirecting some links to your homepage..not the purpose of creating language directories.

So you are good to go.
Check and see.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regrads,
Riffaz.

May 16, 2019 at 9:46 am #3824271

marinoB-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!