This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
December 27, 2018 at 4:25 pm #3037797

איילה הלוי

Hi,

Why when I try to translate page, I get the 404 page ? I would like to have exactly same page with the same layout – and to be able translate all content to Hebrew.

Here you can see this issue:
hidden link

Here are site login details:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-appearance-of-language-switcher/#post-3030230

Thank you

December 27, 2018 at 5:06 pm #3037986

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I kindly ask you to follow this steps:
- Create a full backup of the site.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes, specially WPML plugins, to their latest version. Outdated functionalities can cause conflicts in the code.
- Edit the page in the original language -> Make a small change -> Save the changes -> Update the translation.
- If the issue persists, delete the translated page and create a new translation for the page.

Could you tell me the result of the steps above?

Kind regards,
Carlos

December 30, 2018 at 7:45 am #3042931

איילה הלוי

Hi Carlos,
I've done the things you wrote. ( did the backup, update plugins, did a change, save and try to translation ). I have a feeling that translation does not work the way it should :(. The translation page does not display all content that needs to be translated and after filling the existing filds of content, I can not save and finish the action - I get the message:"Job not finished Save and complete the translation of all sentences, then finish the job" link:hidden link
in addition home page is not working - 404 page
Another thing I have noticed is that the language button for the English language on a "translated" hebrwe page does not appear. I gave all the login information to the backend of my site to the previous support person who helped me ( NOMAN his name ). I would appreciate it if you could go in and fix the problems so that I will be able to do the translation on the site. it is very urgant to us to move on with site Because we're losing money as long as it's not ready.
best regards,
Raz

December 31, 2018 at 5:12 pm #3045932

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Raz,
Thank you very much for your message.

I suspect that the cause of the issue is that the custom fields that adds lots of features to the pages are set to 'Don't translate'. I would like to ask you to follow the steps provided in this link to set the custom fields related to the pages to 'Copy' or 'Translate' depending on your preferences: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

Once you change the settings for the custom fields then edit the front-page (or any other selected page) -> Make a small change -> Save the changes -> Update the translation.

Could you tell me if the issue persists after the steps above?

Looking forward to your answer.
Happy New Year!
Best regards,
Carlos

January 1, 2019 at 8:25 am #3046699

איילה הלוי

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for your reply.
I did what you asked mo to do, went to “WPML” -> “Settings” page, clicking on the “Multilingual Content Setup” tab, and scrolling to the “Custom Field Translation” section - then i marked Translate to all i thought to be relevant. then i Made a small change -> Save the changes -> Update the translation. i still get the 404 page when klicking on heb bottom. you can enter to admin and backend of my site with login information wich i gave to previous support person who helped me ( NOMAN his name )
PLEASE HELP AS FAST AS YOU CAN its very urgant!
Happy New Year!
Best regards,
Raz

January 2, 2019 at 5:58 am #3047972

איילה הלוי

Hi Carlos,
PLEASE HELP AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! You have not answered yet to my previous post:(
For the past three weeks I have been trying to translate the site and not succeeding
Site must be finished on time
Can you please help and go to my site admin and bakend to make sure that I can translate properly all pages that appears in it?
With gratitude and appreciation in advance,
Raz

January 2, 2019 at 4:16 pm #3049850

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Raz,
I'm sorry for the delay answer, I was on a holiday.

The cause of the issue was that the Hebrew version of the front-page was in the trash, I just retored it and now you can see the translation of the page correctly.

Could you confirm that the issue is solved?

Regards,
Carlos

January 3, 2019 at 10:04 pm #3054683

איילה הלוי

Hi Carlos,
thanks a lot your answer and for fixing Hebrew version of the front-page.
Still when I want to translate the page "About us" the content of the page does not appear fully on the page of Hebrew and does not let me save the translation? also the content of hebrew page on the "Clients" page is different from the English page - can you please help me with that?
Thanks in advance and a good weekend,
Raz

January 4, 2019 at 11:35 am #3056150

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Raz,

Regarding the 'About us' page, I 'finished' the translation of the page (100% translated) and now the page in Hebrew is shown correctly. Now you only need to fix the texts, as I don't speak Hebrew so I just leaved the translations that were there already.

I suspect that the other page is having the same issue and that the cause of the issue is that the translation is not completed/finished yet, please finish all the translations and then check if the issue disappear.

I recommend you to visit this link where you will find our official documentation about the Advance Translation Editor: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

Best regards,
Carlos

January 6, 2019 at 12:55 pm #3060321

איילה הלוי

Hi Carlos,
Thank you very much, you helped me a lot!
Can you please also answer:
1. How can I translate the footer?
2. Is it possible to leave the language button as a sticky button that floats in one place on the site, and does not disappear when scrolling down?
Best regards,
Raz

January 7, 2019 at 4:00 pm #3063513

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Raz,
I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Regarding to your questions:
1.- You should be able to translate the footer in WPML -> String Translation
2.- Yes, this is possible but it takes custom code which falls outside of the scope of the support service, however I can recommend you to visit this links where you will find documentation related to the language switcher:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/custom-language-switcher/

Best regards,
Carlos