This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am using the Auto PT WordPress theme and I am not able to translate widgets.

Solution:

This theme doesn't appear on the official WPML-compatible theme directory here (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/) and the client decided to get in touch with the developers/support department of the theme as it seems that this is a compatibility issue between the theme and WPML.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by roseG-2 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 1:40 pm

roseG-2

I translated a footer widget from French to English. So there are two text sections and each shows only on the language I choose. So the translation part works fine, but when I switch from French to English the widget is not in the place it should be.

I have tried to switch between the languages in the top menu bar and then moved the text widget placing the English section first and the French section second. This results in my English page working fine but the French one not being in the right placement. When I switch to French and try to move the text sections with the French first and English second then the French footer is in the right place but the English footer is not.

hidden link (English footer widget, works fine and is in the proper place)

hidden link (French footer widget, translation is great but it is not in the proper place. It should be to the right of the menu not under it)

I updated all extensions, upgraded the memory to 256M.

I also went into the theme options and changed the footer from showing 2 sections to 3 sections, this allows the text section to be in the proper place but it puts an extra blank spot to the right of it and this won't work both for aesthetic reasons and because soon I will have the German and Italian versions done and will need to modify the widget for those as well and if it's not working properly with two languages then I don't know what will happen with four languages.

July 3, 2019 at 2:34 pm #4137419

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I spent some time on your site and it seems that somehow the theme doesn't see the widgets as multilingual. It sees them separately and that's why is moving the translated one underneath (the theme even says "Footer left area works best with 2 widgets. This number can be changed in the Appearance → Customize → Theme Options → Footer.") so instead of seeing the multilingual widget as one that simply switches depending on the language the visitor is on, it loads the translation as a 3rd widget and that's why it drops it below.

Also, changing the footer to more widgets will not improve this situation because it will probably adjust the size of each block to make it smaller so that 3 widgets fit and that's not what we want.

I also tried to search for the theme that you are using in our official WPML-compatible themes repository here (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/) but I was not able to find it.

I'd suggest you contact the plugin authors and recommend them to join our 'Go Global' program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/) where our Compatibility developers will help them make their plugin 100% compatible with WPML for free.

I tried to translate the widgets via WPML > String Translation, too, but unfortunately, that was not doing anything and the French widget was not showing at all.

I hope that you will find this information helpful and I wish I would have been to fix it for you right now but unfortunately it seems there's some kind of incompatibility between the theme and WPML.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 5, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4151853

roseG-2

My issue isn’t resolved but I’m reaching out to the theme developer as suggested. Thank you for the quick response!