Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: WP JobSearch jobs page offers a location filter in the sidebar, if locations are translated, the filter shows all locations in all languages. Solution: The plugin should be patched as explained in https://wpml.org/forums/topic/widget-translation-languages-menu-in-top-menu/page/7/#post-4561865

This topic contains 110 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by rohanK 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
June 14, 2019 at 8:25 am #4019235

rohanK

Oups, forget to add the page in 1., it is for this page: hidden link

and I just notice another things:

4. When we are on a translated version, and that we click on the logo on the right top of the page, it does not bring us back to hidden link but to hidden link, or hidden link, or hidden link. Is it possible to bring them all back to the english version has there are no translation of those pages?

5. Yesterday, I still had the text of the submenu language items, written in white but today it is grey. Could you tell me how have it back ?

June 14, 2019 at 3:42 pm #4022765

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

First of all the debug.log shows that the migrated website has some errors related to the following plugins:

- WP JobSearch
- Flow-Flow
- Convert Plus Addons for WPBakery Page Builder

I would advise you to run the wp-debug feature on your live site and contact the respective support teams about the errors.
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

About your first question:
I will need to investigate the WP JobSearch Plugin on a new installation in order to test it form comaptibility, but sadly I was not able to find a solution for the issue. All categories are translated and synced but the filter seems not to work as expected.

For the second question:
Go to WPML -> Settings -> Post Type Translation and locate the post type "Jobs". Currently it is locked by default, but simply click the lock symbol and change the option to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language". This way Default language jobs should show up on tranlated pages, in case the jobs have not been translated yet.
I have not tested this on the migrated site and it worked.

For the redirecting issue, are you refering to the language switcher? Pleas emake sure to translate all available pages and let me know if the issue persists. On the migrate test site the pages are not translated yet which can lead to a fallback to already translated pages.

For you last question I have to beg my appologize as I was testing on your site and there came up an error which I mentioned on my last message.

There seems to be an intervention by the child theme.

For testing reason I enabled the The7 Theme Option for WPML Flags and this overwrites the WPML Menu Design. For my surprise it is sadly not able to undo the The7 flag design, as the changes revert after saving.

Go to top admin bar -> Theme options -> WPML flags to see the issue.

The issue is somehow related to your Child theme, as it it does not occur when using the default the 7th theme. The theme options are overwriting the WPML language switcher layout.

Now, I would like to invite you to install the default the 7th Theme, your child them, and the plugin WP Job Search on to the following test site:

One Click Login: hidden link

Leave me a short notification once the themes and plugins are installed in order for me to test them for compatibility with WPML.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 17, 2019 at 3:33 pm #4036681

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

You are star, thank you so much for your help and support.

I tried to add the wp-debug feature but when I try to open the debug.log into wp-config.php, but I got this page when I open it: hidden link. I cannot see anything, is it normal?

1. WP Job Board issue: I had uploaded the 7 theme and theme child (last version) and the job board plug in. However, I am not sure how to upload the child theme that we are currently using as I don't really have it, it is on the server, on the CMS, but I do not have a folder that I can upload via CMS. Please let me know if that ok for you?

2. For the job ads to be shown even if it is not translated: thank you very much, it works.

3. For the redirection, I am sorry I make confusion explaining the issue. So I am referring to the logo "Approach People Recruitment" including a butterfly on the top left of the menu. The logo redirect to hidden link, that has no translation available, and there will not be, only available in English.
When we are on a page that is a translated version (Spanish, French or German), and that we click on the logo on the top left of the page, it does not bring us back to hidden link but to hidden link, or hidden link, or hidden link. Is it possible to bring them all back to the english version has there are no translation of those pages?

4. Concerning the switch language buttons: I know that we also added CSS in the style.css of the Child theme, following WPML developers' advice in order to design the button as we wanted, maybe it is this code causing the issue? :

/*Switch languages button*/
#page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav, #page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav .menu-item-language {
background-color: transparent !important;
}

#page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav, #page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav .menu-item-language, #page .main-nav .menu-item-language:hover {
box-shadow: none;
}

#page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav .menu-item-language a {
transition: all .3s !important;
}

#page .main-nav .menu-item-language .sub-nav .menu-item-language .menu-item-text {
color: #ffffff;
}

Thanks again for your help and support,

Kind regards

June 18, 2019 at 2:03 am #4039179

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

In regards to the debug.log, make sure to have not any spelling error inside the code, that needs to be added/edited inside if the wp-config.php file.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

You can also add/edit the following edit to "true" in order to get errors displayed directly on front end or back end, depending on where they appear.

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );

Ath the code lines at the end of the wp-confg.php file above the line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

I can see you uploaded the theme and the child theme, but I do not find any plugins. Is there anz problem about adding the theme registration code for testing purpose? The created test site will be deleted automatically after 7 dazs without access.

Please also install the folowing plugins or let me know if there is any issue with that?

- WP JobSearch
- Flow-Flow
- Convert Plus Addons for WPBakery Page Builder

here again the test site in order for us to test them:

Leave me short notification once the site is ready.

Now, in regards top the logo I can offer you a workaround. As this is base don the Customizer theme options this item will need to be translated with its ID bz using our String Translation Plugin.

Please go to WPML -> String Translation and select the option "translate strings in admin screens" at the bottom of the screen.

Now, search for the correct domain of your currently used theme. (Example the7theme_options)

Locate the string for the the logo/image URL. It might also appear with an ID. Mark the checkbox for the string, scroll to the bottom and apply your selection.

The string is now available on String Translation. If you are using the same logo simply translate the same ID or URL.

In case the Logo has an ID you will need to replace it with a different image you will find the correct ID for the replacing image inside your Media section.
It is visible inside the browser address line once you entered the images attachment page.

Let me know if it worked out or if you need any assistance with this task.

For your question in regards to the language switcher, it appears that this gap is related to the theme and not realted to anz custom CSS unless the developer changed importants IDs or Classes inside of the theme's style.css file, but I will revsie this with more detail once the test site is ready for testing.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 18, 2019 at 8:38 am #4041409

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

1. I did add those lines just before the "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */":
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );

But I still not open debug.log that brings me to this page: hidden link.

2. I have activated the plug ins as it is on my website. I also added flow flow (but without configuring the API) and the job board however note that for the job board I have another plug in on approachpeoplerecruitment.com named "Addon Jobsearch Modify Advance Search". I do not have this plug in as it is the developers of the job board that set it up. Not sure if you have a way to get it from our CMS on approachpeoplerecruitment.com? Or maybe from the FTP?

Note that I have some CSS code on the child theme too, can you see it thanks to the first backup we set up or do you want me to copy it here?

I did not notice any problem while activating them.

3. Sorry but I do not find the logo string :/

I think that I solved the issue for Convert Plus Addons for WPBakery Page Builder on approachpeoplerecruitment.com but I am not sure, do you have an easy way to verify? :/

Thanks again for your help and support,

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards

June 18, 2019 at 5:24 pm #4045529

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I have reconstructed your site on the sandbox test site.

First of all I would like to mention that in regards to the Footer Widget, there is not any issue on the test. The Default Footer is translated as expected.

Maz I ask why you added various footer? Instead, plese try to use one default footer as this one will be global for all pages. Then translate only this footer into the additional languages with String Translation.
I would advise you here to go to String Translation, then select the domain filter for "Widgets" and delete all strings referring to the footer.
Then go to WPML -> Theme and Plugin localization and scan the currently used theme for new strings (The7 Theme, not the Child).
Now get back to String Translation, select the domain filter for Widgets, and translate the footer into the additional languages.

Let me know if this solved the issue.

If you now take a look on the test site you will find the job listing on the homepage. I was not able to setup the locations filter properlz and would like to ask you for your assistance here.

Further, if you go to Location Sttings -> Preselect Country did you try to set the option "Predict by user IP". It seems that here Google API is responsible for those items. Please trz to recreate the issue on the sandbox.

About the language switcher, you can see on the test site that using the WPML Menu language switcher, there is not any padding inside of the dropdown submenu. The issue on your site is possibly related to the theme´s custom CSS code.

As mentioned in an earlier message the/ theme offers theme options for WPML Flags and they work as supposed on my test. Somehow the code of the developer who worked on your site will need some edits.
Such custom work is not covered by our support but I would advise you to reach out to one of our contractors,m who are expereinced developers with knowledge of WPML:

https://wpml.org/contractors/

Leave me a short notification once the location issue is recreated on the test site.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 20, 2019 at 3:42 pm #4061121

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Sorry for the delay. Note that I did not have all those issues a few weeks ago but they appear once I deactivate WPML for testing reasons, and that I activated it back.

1. Regarding the footer, we cannot only use translation because the content of the footer change regarding the country (like the phone number for instance).
I tried your technique but as soon as I was scanning the website all footers that do not exist were back, and the current ones were still not showing up. Then, I deleted all the footers and recreated them again but now even if I scan the website, the widget field is not shown anymore in the string translation. So I still cannot translate them.

2. Regarding the locations settings of the job search bar, I made several test on my side, I delete the locations and add them back but nothing did change. It is weird because all the other fields of the job search bar work perfectly, it is only this field for the country that does not work. Here you can see there is no issue with the city or sector fields: hidden link
I set up the Locations as it is on our website now (we use the manual location type, not the API locations). I add a country, and the issue appears on the test website too.
I did not understand where to see "Location Settings -> Preselect Country" and for what it is?

3. SOLVED: Regarding the language switcher, I upload back a backup of the website (made before you changed it) so it is back to normal and the space on the left is almost not noticeable so that will be ok.

4. SOLVED: By uploading this backup, I was also able to make the wp-debug feature work so I can now see the issue and the one with WPBakery has been solved.

Thanks again for your support and time,

Looking forward to getting news from you,

Kind regards

June 20, 2019 at 9:11 pm #4063079

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am glad to hear that two of the issues could get resolved.

I was still looking into the footer issue and I would kindly like to ask you for your assistance. How have this footers been assigned to the pages?

On the tests site I have created an addtional footer "Footer Germany" inside of the WPBakery Theme Options but when going to the Customizer and changing to the new generated page "Home Germany" I do not get any option to select the new generated "Footer Germany".

Could you please recreate the footers and besides provide detailed steps in order to recreate the issue?

Here again the link to the test site:

WPML offers to assign Widgets to a specific Language or to all languages. When using different footer for differnet pages those will usually need to be assigned inside the Customizer, but somehow it behaves different with WPBakery.

In fact when going inside of the top admin bar to Theme Options -> Widget areas I am able to create additional footewrs and sidebar, but how do I assign them to special pages? I did not find any opotion for that task.

Did I understand right that prior the footers for all specific country pages were working and correctly translated with WPML?

For the JobSearch Plugin I would kindly like to ask you to recreate the issue with the location filters on the above mentioned test site in order to escalate the issue to our compatibility team. They will work on a solution and contact the plugin authors in order to apply possible fixes, if necessary.

Leave me short notification once the site is ready.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 21, 2019 at 11:20 am #4066583

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Indeed you understood correctly, it was working previously, the job search bar as well as the footer.

I have added all the footers as they are on my website and I assign the correct one to "Home" and "Home Germany" pages.
Note that on the page where you want to add a specific footer, you need to select Page Attribute --> Template --> Microsite and then select the right footer in Footer option.

Regarding the job search bar, I added a 3 more countries but we could already see the issue here with the "Switzerland" location that I set up previously: hidden link.
Even with a few locations you can see the errors so I am not going to add everything.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards

June 21, 2019 at 11:34 am #4066739

rohanK

PS: I added the translation to the footer and I know the footer is working on the test website, but it is still not working on my website while it was working previously.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards

June 21, 2019 at 7:58 pm #4069047

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the delay on my answer.

The WP JobSearch issue has been escalate to our compatiblity team and I will be in contact once I received feedback.

In regards to the issue about the Footer Widget it seems not to be a compatibility issue, further it appears to be an unexpected error on your site.

Please provide me detailed steps to repoduce the items and exact paths to the respective options in order to investigate the issue further. I will then escalate this issue directly to our developers for further investigation.

In order to escalate the issue I will split this ticket. Please provide a summarie will all the details for our developer sin oder to investigate and recreate the issue on your migrated site , which is still available on our test server.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Andreas

June 22, 2019 at 10:33 am #4070869

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

The steps to reproduce the error:

Explanation: we have a main website "international" and then we have "sub websites" by countries (Switzerland, Ireland, France, Spain...). We have 5 different footers because information can varies regarding the country website (social media icons & phone number). So we have:
- a footer "international" for International, Ireland, UK & Netherlands website
- a footer "switzerland" for Switzerland
- a footer "Germany" for Germany
- a footer "Spain' for Spain
- a foter "France" for France
We translated those footers in French, Spanish and German.

A few weeks ago everything was working fine. We deactivate WPML for testing reasons and when we reactivated the translation of the footer where not shown anymore, only the english version were shown even on translated pages.

We try to rescan the strings but it seems that more than 5 footers where set up. So we delete all the footers, deleted the strings of the footers, rescanned the strings (nothing widget strings were shown anymore) added again all the footers, rescanned the strings but now they do not shown, we don't have any widget strings even if we rescan the template the 7 and clear our caches.

Steps to create the issue:
1. To add footers: go to Theme Options --> Widget Areas --> Add footer
2. To add texts to footers: go to Appearance --> Widgets --> Use 3 items of "Custom HTML" for each footers --> you can copy the code from our website, we provided the access.
3. To attribute footer to the page: On the page in Page Attribute --> in Template --> select Microsite --> go to Footer option --> select the right footer
4. To translate --> In WPML, scan the strings of the template and go to strings to find the widget strings

On the migrated website, I think you can still see the first errors with the various footers (too many footers) with inaccurate texts (if you compared with what is in the widgets). It is after migrating it that we deleted all the strings, deleted all the footers and add them back.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards

June 25, 2019 at 1:33 am #4080265

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you very much for providing the detailed information.

I have tested the issue again and the problem persists on a new installation. I have escalated the issue to our compatiblity team and I will contact you as soon I receive feedback.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 25, 2019 at 8:54 am #4082397

rohanK

Great, thank you Andreas for following up.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

June 26, 2019 at 4:34 am #4088765

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you very much for your patience.

After reviewing the issue on yours site a propable workaround would be to create on custom html widget for each language on each footer.

At Appearance -> Widgets each widget offers the possibility to assign it do be visible for only one site language. In this case each footer will need to have one custom html widget for each subpage (country) and those widgets will not need to be translated with String Translation.

You can see an example on the created test site. I was going to add a screenshot but sadly I am currently experiencing an issue with this feature. Let me know if you do have any questions.

Here the documentation for this topic:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

Worlaround visisble on this site:

Would this be a suitable workaround for you?

Kind regards
Andreas