This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
April 30, 2018 at 8:11 pm #1904878

melB

I am trying to: Set up German translations for the English pages. But now all the widgets have disappeared everywhere. I used the menu synchronize option and it worked well. I am working with Yootheme Sixt Avenue. In the widgets area all of them are set to all languages. I also tried to look at the layout backend Yootheme uses and now I cannot assign layouts anymore to the English pages and it is showing literally every single word on the site as an option to assign a layout too.. this seems very strange - but the actual pages such as the previous English pages.. they all have disappeared and do not exist anymore.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link
On this pages used to be a lot of content before but it's set up in widgets as blog posts, now they are all gone.

I expected to see: all widgets like on the live page hidden link

Instead, I got:hidden link

May 1, 2018 at 8:03 am #1909444

melB

I have also assumed I may have to add every single widgetkit separately now and did a test to set up one for this blog page in only one language but it does not work anymore. Also I cannot even assign it to the actual English pages anymore as they have disappeared now... is there some sort of conflict? Thank you

May 2, 2018 at 2:26 pm #1935581

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering.

I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

Is this gallery being displayed on the production site, is it created by widgets? If yes, depending on the widget it is necessary to add a widget for each language, depending on how the theme/plugin was done.

When you add the widget, do you get any error messages? How are these widgets added? After you save these widgets and refresh the pages, is the widget still displayed on the backend?

--

I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator or All in One Migration plugin to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

May 2, 2018 at 2:47 pm #1936414

melB

So Bruno just for clarification.. most of the content on the page is in widgets and most created by widgetkit as galleries etc. but on the homepage they are still showing, on all others they have disappeared.

May 4, 2018 at 1:12 am #1967639

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I'm not sure if the problem happened by syncing the menu. This should not happen. When the menu is synchronized, the pages are not changed, just synchronized in the menu.

I tried to download the Duplicator package on your site, but the buttons are disabled with the message: "Download not accessible from here". Maybe these files are hosted on an external server so I do not have access.

I did a little test and added the widgetkit inside a page (I used the first one on the list). This worked correctly: hidden link

When I clicked to edit the translation, it appears that the page is in the trash. I then restored that page to test. Manually adding a "WidgetKit" element on the translated page also worked correctly: hidden link

About your theme options like "Layouts" and "Widgets", I got a little confused. I'll attach an image for you to see. Was it possible to select pages in German and English from this list in the screenshot? Usually, themes use the same page that will serve both languages. What really changes are the translated strings.

Note that I've looked at both your theme and the WidgetKit plugin. None of these two are officially supported by WPML:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility

In the case of WidgetKit, it seems you should have to add the blocks for each language and then use them within the pages, with their IDs (which are in the shortcodes used inside the post).

Thank you.

May 5, 2018 at 2:43 pm #1991051

melB

Hi Bruno

Thanks so much for your detailed help. Very much appreciated.

I have tested this and can also assign positions now, so this definitely seems to work, thanks!

I will test further but by the looks of it this might work well enough.

I just have one question.. I actually had found some other page where it had support for yootheme so I assumed it would be fine.

When you say they are not officially supported, does that mean that you won't help me again if I run into an issue?
Or does it mean you cannot say if you or anyone at will be able to assist if you cannot figure it out? Of course now your advice was very helpful.

Thank you,
Mel

May 7, 2018 at 6:42 pm #2019240

melB

Hello WPML Team

Any chance for a quick response on the above?

I have actually managed to set up all widgets via the theme in the backend and everything worked fine for 1 day.. now they have all 'strangely' disappeared again.
Does that mean it's not compatible?
Because if so, I need to find another translation tool and return WMPL within the 30days. I got the premium version so it's quite expensive if theme and WMPL are not compatible.

Thanks if you have any feedback.

Mel.

May 8, 2018 at 2:27 am #2022663

Bruno
Supporter

Hi Mel,

Sorry for the delay.

>>> When you say they are not officially supported, does that mean that you won't help me again if I run into an issue?
Or does it mean you cannot say if you or anyone at will be able to assist if you cannot figure it out? Of course now your advice was very helpful.

I just meant that it may have compatibility issues, as this plugin is not officially supported.

You can always count on our support to help you. If anything is incompatible, we'll try to contact the author of the plugins and work with him to fix any issue.

Please, could you disable all non-WPML plugins and just keep the basic plugins to test if these widgets will "disappear"? Also, when these widgets "disappear" are you updating any page or accessing any option?

Thank you.

May 8, 2018 at 7:47 am #2024643

melB

Hi Bruno

Thanks for your help.

Yes I can try and disable them all but since you asked - the whole page was pretty much finished and all worked. But then I updated a few things, that's correct. I changed the About us page (in German "Über") and I think I just did formatting paragraph/divs within the normal copy of the page. I also deleted a page (Shop De Old) and I think I also updated a urls /en/jeweled-sandals-2017 to en/jeweled-sandals-2018

I can try and reverse the url change and see if that does anything.

Thanks for any further help.

Mel

May 9, 2018 at 1:58 am #2042371

Bruno
Supporter

Hi Mel,

Ideally, you'll need to download the copy of your site so you can test in my testing environment by following the steps you've posted above.

It is not usually that content disappears just by editing a page or removing a page that is not related.

Unfortunately, I tried to use Duplicator again, but the same problem I reported above persists. Maybe I can install All in One Migration to test?

About editing the URL, depending on how the plugin was done, yes, this can cause problems. Reverting this, are the widgets displayed correctly?

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Widgets have disappeared – Yootheme’ is closed to new replies.