Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Widgets were not showing in all languages Solution: Enable sidebar in translated pages Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by anitaK-2 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lucas Bustamante.

Author Posts
August 21, 2018 at 5:25 pm #2664111

anitaK-2

I have recently upgraded WPML to 4.0.5. Right after the upgrade I noticed that the filters (widgets) that I use to have on the left hand side of my category page were not visible anymore (although active in the widget setting of wordpress).

I run a deeper investigation and realized that the same widgets are visible in some of the languages (e.g. German) and not visible in others (e.g. English).

Could you please support me in resolving the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Fabio.

August 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm #2664316

Lucas Bustamante

Hello,

My name is Lucas, I'm a support representative for WPML and I'll be assisting you with your issue.

Can you please check your widget language settings? You can follow this documentation to do so: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/displaying-different-widgets-for-different-languages/

Let me know if that documentation help you out.

Best regards,
Lucas

August 21, 2018 at 7:38 pm #2664577

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I would like to say that the widgets as configured were working fine before the WPML upgrade (from 3.6 to 4.0.5). I have a widget applicable to all languages and the text was/is translated through the string translation.

I also tried to add the same widget in english only as per your link (the language that does not show any widget) and it does not work.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Fabio.

August 21, 2018 at 7:53 pm #2664617

Lucas Bustamante

Fabio,

Can you please create a user for me with admin credentials so I can take a look? You can configure your next reply to be private, so it will only be visible for you and me.

Best regards,
Lucas

August 21, 2018 at 8:07 pm #2664643

Lucas Bustamante

Fabio,

Before I access, please make a full backup of your site for security reasons, since we'll be debugging an issue. Secondly, please show me which widgets disappeared from the site after upgrading WPML to 4.0.5, and where they appeared in the front-end.

Best regards,
Lucas

August 21, 2018 at 8:24 pm #2664734

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas,

The widgets are the ones part of the shop sidebar. Basically if you open any category, they are the filters appearing on the left hand side (e.g. filter by price, by color, by size). They are visible in the German translation but not in the English.

Please let me know if this issue is due to WPML or maybe an incompatibility with the theme (in this latest case I would contact the theme authors).

I have a backup, nevertheless please be careful and if I can suggest keep track of any change implemented.

Best regards.

Fabio.

August 21, 2018 at 9:19 pm #2664946

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas,

Could you please confirm that you are still working on my website?

It's been almost one hour that the website is not accessible anymore and I am a bit worried.

Thanks in advance.

Fabio.

August 21, 2018 at 9:41 pm #2664956

Lucas Bustamante

Hi Fabio,

My work shift ended 17h GMT-3, so I didn't do anything since then.

The only time I accessed the admin area was to double-check if the widgets had "All languages" selected, I did not change a single thing in the site. You might want to inquire your hosting company provider about the downtime.

I'll pick up again tomorrow at 8h (GMT-3), let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Lucas

August 21, 2018 at 9:51 pm #2664965

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas,

I am sorry but I am concerned. As soon I gave you access the website became not accessible to me as administrator and to normal users. I also noticed the usage of a lot of memory since the time a shared the credentials.

Please tell me exactly what you did in addition of checking the widget settings (if applicable), did you perhaps activated any debug mode? did you install any additional plugin? did you run any script?

Please help me, the website was accessible before and now it does not. It is difficult to be a coincidence. I am afraid that something happened during your access.

I am very worried, I hope that you could help me.

Fabio.

August 21, 2018 at 10:08 pm #2664967

Lucas Bustamante

Hi Fabio,

I assure you I didn't change anything, nor enabled any debug mode. Your website is online to me, as you can see in the screenshot, can you please explain what the problem is, provide screenshots, etc?

August 21, 2018 at 10:16 pm #2664999

Ricardo Alday

Hi Fabio,

Lucas is out for today. I just checked your site without login into the backend and everything seems to be working in order. If you clear your browser cache does it make a difference? Can you check on a different computer and/or device?

August 22, 2018 at 9:44 am #2666302

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas and Ricardo,

Thank you for the replies and assurances. As you can see in the attached picture, yesterday I had a demand of CPU and memory that lasted 2 hours which started right after I provided access. This is the reason why I though that you were working on the backstage... when you said that you (Lucas) were not, I became very worried and afraid that the website got corrupted.

I confirm that the website is accessible from my side as well.

Concerning the widget issue it is still open and I would like to know whether you could help me (please inform me when you will access to the backstage).

Best regards.

Fabio.

August 22, 2018 at 12:05 pm #2666669

Lucas Bustamante

Hi Fabio,

Can you please double-check your Page Layout settings for the Shop page where the widgets are not being shown?

To do so, go to Pages -> Shop -> {English, for example} and check if there's a sidebar configured.

Best regards,
Lucas

August 22, 2018 at 12:36 pm #2666805

anitaK-2

Dear Lucas,

I checked and this setting is available in my theme settings -> product page layout. I re-saved the settings but I do not see any change in the live website (English version).

Best regards.

Fabio.

August 22, 2018 at 12:59 pm #2666868

Lucas Bustamante

Hi Fabio,

Thanks for checking that out.

The theme settings might apply for the "German" page only, though. So it would be worth a shot to take a look at the "Shop" page in English directly and see if there is a sidebar configured for it. Can you please check it and let me know?

Best regards,
Lucas