This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 9, 2019 at 2:44 pm #4538129

itzikL-2

What is the risk of changing the "Default locale" option in languages? Since it's used to get translations with getText(), Will they still be available if I change this option? For example, if I saved a string translation for french and the default locale was fr_FR and now I'm changing it to fr_CA, will the translations still be available?

September 10, 2019 at 2:29 am #4540933

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

Default locale helps to retrieve the translations from the .po/.mo files for the plugins/themes as well as for WordPress core, so if you change the default_locale option you should also modify your .po/.mo files accordingly available in wp-content/languages folder.

Also, you will need to manually download the .po/.mo files for plugins/themes and add it to the folder with current locale codes, the download translations from wp-admin/update-core.php will not be effective, it will search for default locals defined.

The string translated under string translation will not have any effect due to this change.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks