Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by VITALIY OSCHENKOV 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
January 20, 2017 at 3:40 pm #1187177

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

I am trying to: add description in category page

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: Seo info+ category description

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

January 20, 2017 at 6:28 pm #1187337

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello

I will be helping you with this issue. I understand from your message that you would like to add a translated description to the category archive page.

Is this correct?

You can translate the category translate the "description" field for your category terms using the WPML -> Taxonomy Translation tool. (see image).

If your theme supports the display of this field on the taxonomy/category archive page, it will then be displayed.

Does this answer your question?

TaxonomyTranslationTool.png
January 20, 2017 at 7:08 pm #1187359

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

No, Did you read title of the issue? Half year ago all worked, but now I noticed that when I want update category description or something else in category info, all description is disappear ( category description become blank). Also I noticed, that this issue from compatibility latest version of WPML & SEO by Yoast, because when I deactivate SEO plugin I can change description ( but disappear description don't return) but in this way I can't use SEO titile, keywords, etc.

January 20, 2017 at 7:12 pm #1187362

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

In other my site the same bug (hidden link). In this web site have another WP theme, but issue the same.

January 20, 2017 at 8:11 pm #1187397

Yvette
Supporter

OK. Sorry I misunderstood your issue.

I am checking now if there are any reported issues of this type as SEO Yoast is a very popular plugin.

January 20, 2017 at 8:21 pm #1187402

Yvette
Supporter

Hello again.

I cannot find any reports of this type of error yet. Can you please give some clarifications on the problem:

1. You wrote: ".. I want update category description or something else in category info, all description is disappear ( category description become blank)."
Question.
1.1 Does this happen when you update the original category as well or just the translated categories?
1.2 Do the translated categories retain the description....and only the updated category is affected?

2. You wrote: "..when I deactivate SEO plugin I can change description ( but disappear description don't return) ..:"

Question:
2.1 After you reactivate SEO plugin, do the changes you made remain? Or is it that the description is always put to "blank" as a value?

3. Minimum Installation Requirements
The technical information you included with this ticket is indicating that you do not have the minimum amount of PHP memory allocated to WordPress. For normal functioning of the WPML plugin, it requires at least 128M to be defined/allocated. Right now, you only have the default value of 40M.

Please increase this parameter in your wp-config.php file as described here: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

And then check if this affects the problem.

Thanks for the clarifications and information.

January 20, 2017 at 9:01 pm #1187420

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

1.1. In product category (woocommerce ) all work fine, but in wordpress category this bug in original category and in the translated category. Also I noticed, that when Yoast SEO plugin is active, in category appear description twice (in attach screenshot 1-2).
After updating this category page, two this category become blank. For return back, I make database back up.
1.2 For new category I can't add, because after update it's clean. As for already available (that I made some month ago), they became clean to, after updating category page, even if nothing changed, only click update category.

2.1 Blank, I back up my database for return category description.

3. But with this php limit all worked fine some month ago, and 2 filed for description appeared not from a lack of PHP memory

Capture_2.PNG
Capture_1.PNG
January 20, 2017 at 9:15 pm #1187430

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

I add "define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');" to wp-config.php, but the issue still there. As I said, php memory limit, It's from other opera

January 20, 2017 at 9:21 pm #1187431

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

hidden link

January 22, 2017 at 4:58 pm #1187727

Yvette
Supporter

This is a very curious behaviour. I would like to make some local testing and possibly will need to escalate this to our 2nd tier supporters.

1. Do I have your permission to take a snapshot of your system for our local servers? I will first verify that I can replicate this problem on my local server to eliminate the possibility that this is a server-related issue.

Then I will escalate this to our 2nd tier support group. We normally use the Duplicator plugin to do this.

2. Temporary access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thank you

January 22, 2017 at 5:39 pm #1187734

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

I test default theme, but it not depends on the theme, only plugins

January 22, 2017 at 6:10 pm #1187742

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

I have resolved this ticket by mistake "If you have resolved this ticket by mistake, you can still re-open below within 12 hours." How and where I can re-open it?

January 22, 2017 at 7:35 pm #1187764

Yvette
Supporter

I´ve reopened this for you. Don´t worry.

January 22, 2017 at 7:45 pm #1187769

VITALIY OSCHENKOV

Thank you, if you will need more info from me, I will give it instantly

January 23, 2017 at 5:58 am #1187895

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I was able to replicate this problem on a fresh local installation and can confirm it only happens with SEO Yoast 4.1

I´ve escalated this issue to our 2nd tier support. They will work on continuing the investigation to find a solution and will contact you directly if there are any questions or updates.

I would suggest, until a solution is available, that you revert back to SEO 3.9 where the compatibility problem does not occur.

This ticket is now in status "Escalated to Compatibility Team".