Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
January 18, 2016 at 8:09 pm #790562

Nina Gonzalez

I am trying to: translate the logo and footer of my theme using string translation. I am using Woo Canvas Child theme, which is compatible with WPML. But the logo and the footer do not appear in the string translation tool.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: staging1.earthcharter.org

January 19, 2016 at 1:21 pm #791209

Mohammed

Hello Nina,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I think these are theme options.

❌For strings that come from the theme options❌
- Go to WPML > String Translation
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Translate texts in admin screens »"
- Look for the string you want to translate (It may be hidden under a combined group of strings)
- So, if you saw (+) icons, Click on them.
- If you found the string you want to translate, Check the check-box beside it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click apply
- Go to WPML > String Translation
- Search for the string and translate it.

Thanks.

January 19, 2016 at 7:50 pm #791591

Nina Gonzalez

Yes, that was extremely helpful. I was able to locate the logo and the footer and I was able to add them to the string translation and I was able to translate them. But the translations do not appear on the site.

January 20, 2016 at 8:34 am #791840

Mohammed

Hi Nina,

That's nice that you are able to translate these strings now.
About the frontend, this may be a compatibility issue.

If you are familiar with PHP coding, you may check your theme files to find where these values are being displayed and check if the theme uses the get_option function to get these strings values or uses another custom function.

If you are not familiar with coding, I will need to check your admin and FTP .
For this, I will need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible
- in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment
area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can
see and have access to it.

// NOTE : Please make a complete backup of your website, It is good to have a backup.

Thanks.

January 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm #792379

Mohammed

Hi Nina,

Thank you for the information.

I'm sorry I couldn't login using the provided FTP credentials. please check it.
I was able to login to your admin dashboard but with limited access. please grant me the administration credentials.

You can edit the previous private reply for that.

Thanks.

January 20, 2016 at 4:17 pm #792414

Nina Gonzalez

Thank you, I updated your access and provided more information.

January 20, 2016 at 6:19 pm #792547

Mohammed

Hi Nina,

I was able to login to the FTP this time and the admin dashboard as well but I didn't see any files in the FTP.

Anyway, I need to make the process faster and give you the solution tonight as you requested.

To be able to debug the problem I’d like to replicate your site locally. For this you'll need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" on your site. This will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content. You can provide me with the snapshot following these directions:
If you already know how Duplicator works ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ ), please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

:: Duplicator instructions
. From WordPress plugin page, look for "Duplicator" and install it
. Once installed, you get a new main menu "Duplicator"
. Chose "Packages"
. Click on the first button you find in the toolbar on the right ("Create Package")
. Give it a name or leave it as is
**You can ignore the uploads directory , cache and the archives
. Click on "Create Package Set"
. Wait until the package is ready
. Click on "Installer", then on "Package": the first one is just a php script, the second one is a zip file containing everything you need
. Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big , you can also exclude the images if the file is very big )
IMPORTANT: remember to create or keep an admin account for me before creating the snapshot, or I won't be able to log-in. You may delete the new admin account once the snapshot has been built.

I will set the next reply as a private reply so you will able to provide a link to download the duplicator package.

Thanks and Best Regards

Thanks.

January 21, 2016 at 12:13 pm #793120

Nina Gonzalez

Hi, were you able to solve this. Thanks for your help.

January 21, 2016 at 12:18 pm #793128

Mohammed

Hi Nina,

Thank you for the information.
I'm working on the issue and I will get back to you very soon.

Thanks.

January 21, 2016 at 2:14 pm #793313

Mohammed

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your patience.
I've checked the issue locally and found that it's a compatibility issue.
I've prepared a workaround for the issue and tried to deploy it on your website but I couldn't because I don't have the full FTP access. I can only see an empty directory.

Anyway, the workaround as follows:
Please open the file : /wp-content/themes/canvas-child/includes/theme-actions.php
*And replace the line : 2575 code with the following :

$logo_url = apply_filters( 'wpml_translate_single_string', get_option('woo_logo'), "admin_texts_woo_options", "[woo_options]woo_logo");

*Replace file 1896 content with the following:

$html .= '<p>' . stripslashes( apply_filters( 'wpml_translate_single_string', get_option('woo_footer_left_text'), "admin_texts_woo_options", "[woo_options]woo_footer_left_text") ) . '</p>';

*Replace file 1918 content with the following:

$html .= '<p>' . stripslashes( apply_filters( 'wpml_translate_single_string', get_option('woo_footer_right_text'), "admin_texts_woo_options", "[woo_options]woo_footer_right_text") ) . '</p>';

Then test the issues.

Thanks.

February 5, 2016 at 1:16 pm #805906

Nina Gonzalez

Unfortunately this did not work. Instead we are managing the footer and logo outside of the theme. I recommend removing the Woo Canvas theme from your list of compatible themes.