If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 9:45 am

Issei Miura

I am trying to input Japanese translations for the English counterpart terms that are located in the checkout screen of WooCommerce. When a customer doesn't input any values or information into a particular field but they proceed to click the "Confirm/pay" button, they are shown an error message like these below:

Billing First Name is a required field.
Billing Last Name is a required field.
Billing Address is a required field.
etc

The elements seem to be separated into two sections like this: [Billing First name] [is a required field.]

As I only need to update/change the translation for the first part [Billing First Name] term, I have searched string translations within WooCommerce and seem to have found each of those individual terms from each checkout field. (The second part [is a required field] that remains constant for each field needs no updates or changes. ) However, when I input my desired translation and click the "use my translation" tick box and then SAVE, there are no changes reflected on the site itself.

Is there another area in which I can find the proper term to translate within string translations, or perhaps is there an issue where the translations are not being "uploaded" to the site even though they are updated on the dashboard string translations screen?

I expected to see the proper translations displayed, since I haven't had this issue anywhere else on my site. However, none of my updates on those checkout field error messages are reflected on my site.

Could you please provide some advice on this matter? If you need any further details or information, I will be happy to provide them.

Thanks.

July 3, 2019 at 11:30 am #4135501

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Thank you for the credentials, I can confirm that they are working.

From what I can see here (hidden link), there are a lot of updates available for the theme and plugins that you are using.

Our plugins are also outdated from what I can see and they need to be updated to the latest version (hidden link).

1. Please create a full website backup to avoid any risk in case something happens in the plugins-update process.
2. Update the plugins and the theme that you are using

Now please see if the issue is resolved.

If it's still not resolved, please follow the steps below:

1. I have noticed that your website’s WP Memory Limit is 40MB. The WP memory limit needs to be increased as the minimum requirement for WPML is 128Mb WP Memory Limit: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

❌ Very important: please make a backup of your site (files & database) before following any of the upcoming steps ❌

Please add this to your wp-config.php file to increase WP memory:

/* WP Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so, if that’s the case, I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

2. Please increase MaxInputVars to 50000. For this, please try to set this variables in your php.ini:

max_input_vars = 50000;
suhosin.post.max_vars = 50000;
suhosin.request.max_vars = 50000;

You may need to contact your hosting provider to set them.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

3. If the issue will still persist, we will need to check for a possible theme or plugin conflict.

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

Please let me know what you are able to find.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 6, 2019 at 7:00 am #4155179

Issei Miura

Hello Mihai,

Thanks for your advice.

Parts of your instructions are beyond my level of operation, so I will pass your advice on to our web developer and hopefully they can make use of it.

If I have any problems after trying your advice, I will get back with you again.

Appreciated,

Park

July 8, 2019 at 3:50 pm #4164139

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi Park and thank you for your reply! 🙂

That's totally fine.

I will currently assign this ticket back to you and I am looking forward to finding out from you if that solved the issue.

Kind regards,
Mihai