If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
June 11, 2015 at 11:21 am #636321

krzysztofT-2

I am trying to: Update WooCommerce language packs for the non-default language

WP notifies (through a "1" number on the Updates tab, NOT through the WC notification) that there are new translations available on each new WooCommerce version, which is correct. When I go to the WP update screen and hit the update button, it says that the language packs are successfully updated. When I navigate to any next page in the admin panel, the new language pack notification ("1") appears. I can do this over and over, but with each attempt at updating I can see in the FTP that only the site's default language (set in WordPress' Settings -> General) is updating and the other WC language packs are not updating (their last modified date doesn't change). The "Force update" in WooCommerce -> Status -> Tools doesn't update the language packs eighter. The CHMOD file and folder permissions are correct. The site's default language and English are updating properly, but all other languages are not.

I have had a similar problem before (of not being possible to actually update) when I added my first additional languages. I then checked that in wp-content/languages/plugins/ there were no language packs for the newly created languages, so I figured that WPML didn't create them (which is an issue of its own). I navigated to WPML -> Languages and switched the default language to an additional language. Then I navigated to hidden link which forces updating the language packs for WC. This created the files. Then I switched the language to the next additional one and repeated the process. This also hid the new language packs notification.

I thought that after creating those language files WooCommerce will be able to update them and the issue was just that it tried to update files that weren't there. But with the next WC update came new language packs and it seems that it's not possible to update them.

I have now tried to repeat the process to update the language files, so I went to WPML -> Languages and changed the default language to an additional one, then navigated to hidden link which forces updating the language packs for WC, but the language files did not update for this additional language. I tried the Desktop -> Updates way to update the files while having the additional language set as default, but like said before, it just said "update successful" but the files did not update and the notification remains.

This leads me to believe that eighter WP or WPML or WooCommerce has a problem with updating the additional language packs.

Any ideas on how to enforce the update of additional WC language packs other than deleting or updating them manually each time?

June 11, 2015 at 11:31 am #636329

krzysztofT-2

I have managed to update the translation for the additional language when the default one is set to it and I manually click the "force update" button on the WC -> Status -> Tools screen. Navigating to the above link didn't seem to trigger the update, only clicking the button did. This is still not a feasible way of updating, as the update button has the text displayed in the additional language and it's not clear which one to click.

I still need help with this.

June 12, 2015 at 6:10 am #636802

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello. I understand that you would like WPML to automatically update your language packs for other plugins (like woocommerce) in the same manner as we do for the WordPress core. (see image)

(1) Scope of influence/control
This feature is part of our Strings Translation module but is only available for core WordPress files and not for other plugins or themes. Each plugin/theme would have to offer this capability from within their own administrative functions (like Woocommerce does).

You asked : "...Any ideas on how to enforce the update of additional WC language packs other than deleting or updating them manually each time?..."

Unfortunately, as this logic is out of the scope of our development influence, the short answer is : no = (

(2) Wocoommerce button text
You also state: "...This is still not a feasible way of updating, as the update button has the text displayed in the additional language and it's not clear which one to click...."

On this point, I might be able to help you because it is a specific plugin text that you indicate is not translating properly. On this note, would you be able to send me a screenshot of the text where it appears on your frontend? We can try to recreate this and see where/why the proper text is not appearing.

Thanks for your collaboration.

June 12, 2015 at 8:50 am #636941

krzysztofT-2

Hello Yvette. Thanks for the reply, but I think you didn't understand my issue.

1. If WPML supports WooCommerce, it's quite clear that when adding an additional language, language files for WC should be automatically created/downloaded. They're not, which I think is a bug. They should also be updated automatically. They're not (even though the admin panel says they are), which I think is also a bug. In my experience as a coder I imagine that WPML should do something like:

1. Switch the site's language to the additional language which is being added or updated
2. Enforce the update using WP's update functions and WC's update functions
3. Set the language back to the original one

Can you please ask a developer of WPML to take a look at this particular post? This should be about 4 lines of code to make it happen, but I still think this is just a bug.

As for the second part of your post: the button text is correctly displayed in the additional language when I switch to it (and I switch to it so I can actually update the language packs). I'm just pointing out that there is a way to update the language packs, but it's really bad (it also changes the language URLs along the way, which have to be switched back). This lead me to the solution above which if not implemented yet, should be implemented. But - once again - this seems like a bug.

June 12, 2015 at 2:44 pm #637307

Yvette
Supporter

Hi. Sorry for the delay in responding and please be patient as I try to fully understand how to best support your ticket.

I have asked some senior support colleagues who recall that there were some internal issues raised quite a while ago regarding update of language packs with Woocommerce. It involved a change in the API the Woocommerce used to determine how to handle the updates.

I am now researching this topic more....please be patient while I gather all the possible and relevant data. Once I am able to determine what kind of bug this is (Woocommerce or WCML) I will be able to escalate it to the correct team.

Thanks for your understanding.

June 12, 2015 at 2:57 pm #637322

krzysztofT-2

Thanks Yvette, I'll wait patiently. Like said above, I'm pretty sure developers will easily understand this issue, so please try to reach them in this case.

June 14, 2015 at 5:48 pm #637895

Yvette
Supporter

Hello. I have researching our internal knowledge base for any information and I found a number of problems with updating of languages. Some of the problems indicated that the update notice appeared but no language packs were downloaded. Other times the notice was not triggered and so no language packs were able to be downloaded.

These problems were consolidated into a single investigation ticket raised on May 12 as follows:
"Problem description: Can´t update WCML language packs

The investigations concluded:
....this happens when a user customizes the name of the locales on the themes and plugins localization in WPML. WooCommerce is using the WordPress API for the language packs so, the locale names must be standard in order to match...."

A fix was implemented to get the language codes from the DB instead in function ´check_for_update'. The fix passed testing on 12 June and is scheduled to be released in WCML 3.6.2

Do you think this addresses your problem? If so, then it seems to be fixed in the next release of WCML. I would ask you to wait for the next release to see if the functionality that you are expecting is included.

Here are the related forum threads for your information:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/no-force-update-woocommerce-language/#post-602123
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/woocommerce-mo-files-there-no-translation-french/
https://wpml.org/fr/forums/topic/message-persistant-dinstallation-de-langue/

In my investigation I have also confirmed that since WCML 3.4 the automatic update of wocommerce language packs has been integrated.

June 17, 2015 at 12:51 pm #640583

krzysztofT-2

Hello,

While we didn't create any custom language locales, the new version of WCML seems to solve the updating problem - they finally updated as supposed to. Not sure if it also fixed the issue that WooCommerce translation files weren't created when adding a new language, but that's something to look out for in the future.
Thanks for your assistance, the ticket seems resolved for now. I'll let you know should the problem occur again.

All the best,
Chris