This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel Schaefer 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
May 14, 2019 at 9:36 am #3805223

Marcel Schaefer

Hi there,

first: the product translation using the WPML Tranlsation edition is working fine.

But: With the translation edition, I get a new slug and a new post/product id (although the sku stays the same).
The new slug/post id leads to a missing link to my production system, as this works with the prodict (post) id and the slug.

Therefor, I tryed to translate the prduct using string translations (as I only have to translate the description).
Unfortunatly, the description strings are not found in the string translation of WPML.
If I search for a string (the complete product description or parts of it), WPML says "no string found".
I also scanned all plugins for new strings, but the product strings are still not found.
What can I do to translate the description as a string ?
Thanks a lot
kind regards
Marcel

May 14, 2019 at 10:42 am #3806025

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Marcel,

WPML maintains each translation as a separate post with a unique post id the connection is handled by WPML with a dedication icl_translation table.

So a separate post id for translation is expected behavior.
It is also not possible to translate just the product description from string translation with out actually creating a translation of product which would have a separate post id.

However, you can have the same slug for the translated product. the one drawback is the URL will have the language parameter if that is not a concern, please consider this option.

Moreover creating a separate post for translation ensures proper indexing for localized content in search engines without any duplication or affecting the indexing.

Kind regards
Raja

May 15, 2019 at 7:22 am #3813037

Marcel Schaefer

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!