Due to the large volume of support requests, at the moment there is a waiting time of more than 24 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes. We do not have any recurring unknown issues so we encourage you to please search the forum for other support topics that might be helpful and to review our documentation and look at our errata page for known issues. We are all working hard to go back to the normal, a supporter will respond to you as soon as possible.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
June 6, 2017 at 5:21 pm #1292478

simonA-13

Hi there,

I keep having problems with elements of WooCommerce (and also the WooCommerce extension Bookings) being partially untranslated, even as the rest of the same screen is translated.

The attached screenshot is an example from the Cart. It shows most of the page translated, but "Update cart", the "Cart totals" section and "Proceed to checkout" not translated.

There are many, many similar examples across the site. Pages will be in Spanish but have elements that remain in English, presumably because they aren't being translated at all. I'm having the same problems with email notifications where the email subject line and title are in English and the body of the email in Spanish.

It also doesn't seem consistent. Yesterday I had the site open in Spanish on two computers and the "booking cost" message that's shown after selecting a date (in the WooCommerce Bookings calendar) appeared in English on one computer and in Spanish on the other.

I recently had an epic support ticket with you guys where none of my .mo files would load. I never quite understood the problem but apparently it had something to do with data (not files) being cached. I don't know if this could be related but thought I should mention it.

I've in fact been battling with numerous issues with WPML over a couple of months now and my site needs to go into production ASAP, so I would really appreciate some swift assistance on this one.

Thanks,

Simon

June 8, 2017 at 8:43 am #1293708

Bernat Torras

Hi Simon,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

Before diving deeper on your issue, could you go to WPML>Theme and plugins localization and confirm us that you've "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation and load .mo files as backup" option selected?

If so, then go to WPML>String Translations and use the search box to try to find any of these untranslated strings (like 'proceed to checkout'). Let us know if the string appears in the table and if it's translated. If it's not translated, translate it manually, mark it as complete and check if it appears translated in the Frontend.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 8, 2017 at 6:48 pm #1294405

simonA-13

Hi Bernat,

I've turned off String Translation entirely and am just relying on .mo files. This is completely intentional because I've been having a ton of issues with WPML's string handling.

I can confirm that the correct files are loaded in some instances, but as I mentioned the strange thing is that it's completely inconsistent. It varies from screen to screen and even from session to session what is loaded. It seems to be only the plugin files (woocommerce and woocommerce bookings) that fail at the moment. In the past I've had issues with my theme files too though.

Let me know how we can proceed. Unfortunately I'm in a rush as this is one of several problems I've had over the last few months and the site now needs to go into production.

Happy to send login details for you to examine the site, but be aware that it contains live data.

Cheers,

Simon

June 9, 2017 at 12:14 pm #1294971

Bernat Torras

Hi Simon,

I've marked your next reply as private. Could you please provide us the following?

1- Complete backup of your site: I'd suggest you to install and use 'Duplicator' plugin to generate the backup (package) of your site (you can exclude uploads folder to reduce the size).

2- Backend/ftp credentials: I'll enable you a private form on your next reply where you'll be able to share us your backend and ftp credentials with us in a private and secure way. Please fill all required fields to let us take a deeper look at your site configuration and files.

3- A list of strings that are not being translated and the URL where we can find them. Please add any other related steps to replicate the issue to let us be able to replicate it locally and in your site.

Once we have the backup ready and the credentials we'll log on your backend and download the backup directly from there and use it to replicate and debug your issue on our private local servers.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 13, 2017 at 5:41 am #1296895

Bernat Torras

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the details and credentials. I've tried to log on your backend but the credentials seem to be wrong. Could you please check them and edit your previous message to update the credentials with the correct ones?

I've also checked some of your pages (like product page, login/register/forgot password, etc) and I can see many of the strings that you're saying, properly translated there. As you're relying only in mo files for the translation, could you check the following points?

1- Make sure that these strings are translated in the proper mo file. Pay special attention to how are they registered in the plugin code to see where are they coming from (you'll need to use a mo file with the same name used as the string textdomain)

2- Make sure it's not a cache issue. Try to check these pages in a private browser window or after clearing all the cache.

3- If the issue persist, try deactivating all your plugins except WPML, WooCommerce and WooCommerce Bookings and check if the issue persist. If not, try enabling the deactivated plugins again one by one until you find the one that is generating the issue. Please make sure to perform this tests in a staging/development version of your site.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 13, 2017 at 8:54 am #1297043

simonA-13

Hi Bernat,

Apologies - seems like I pasted the wrong password in my previous reply. The updated one should be correct.

1 - just to be clear, the issue isn't that the strings are incorrectly translated, it's that only some strings are translated. I'm getting screens with a mixture of Spanish and English.

2 - it might well be some sort of cache issue, but not a basic browser cache issue. For instance, I just opened a private browser window and opened the Barrancas del Cobre product. When I select July 13 I get the Spanish message "costo de reserva..." and the price. When I select 8 travellers I get a message in English: "There are 7 places remaining". The results also seem different in Chrome and Safari.

3 - I realise why disabling other plugins is a standard request from you guys, but it will take me some time to set up an environment where it's safe to do so. Since I've had similar problems with WPML in the past and it was not a plugin conflict, would it be possible for you to in the meantime see if you can spot any problems, now that you have the login? Last time it took over a month to solve.

If it's any help, last time the problem was that the locale had been cached or saved incorrectly - I don't know what type of caching this was, but here's the reply from 2nd tier support for reference:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-translate-a-string-based-only-on-name/page/4/#post-1281248

Please note that the symptoms are different this time - previously files wouldn't load at all, now they are loaded inconsistently.

June 14, 2017 at 8:21 am #1297930

Bernat Torras

Hi Simon,

I think that you should check if it can be related to a compatibility conflict with any of your plugins. I'd suggest you to run the following test on a staging version of your site (or local replica):

1- Make a backup of your site (just in case)

2- Switch to a default WordPress theme (like twentyseventeen) and check if the issue persists.

3- If it persists, try disabling all your plugins except WooCommerce, WooCommerce Bookings, WooCommerce Multilingual and the rest of WPML plugins and check if the issue is solved.

4- If it's solved, enable the rest of the plugins again one by one (or in small groups) and repeat the test to check when the issue reappears and which is the plugin that is generating this conflict.

Let us know the results.

We'll be waiting for your feedback.

Thanks,
Bernat

August 1, 2017 at 8:36 pm #1332734

simonA-13

Hi Bernat,

It's very inconvenient to turn off plugins at this stage since we are performing testing. However, I've just done a quick test of the checkout process with all plugins except the essential (WPML and WooCommerce related) deactivated.

I can confirm that at least some of the problematic strings are still untranslated.

The booking details remain untranslated, i.e. the order details coming from WooCommerce Bookings. I'm seeing things like "Paid", "1 Persons" and "View my bookings" with the site in Spanish.

I'm also seeing the PayPal about text untranslated on the checkout page. (The bit that explains what PayPal is.)

I'm particularly bothered by the fact that email notifications are going out partially untranslated. It varies from time to time but subject lines are WooCommerce Bookings order details seem particularly affected.

Hopefully this is enough to go on. Like I mentioned I'm fairly sure we are not dealing with a plugin conflict, because I've been having numerous issues with WPML the last few months and in the end the problem was always some internal consistency with WPML.

Simon

August 11, 2017 at 9:22 am #1340050

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

Bernat is not available, so I am taking care of this ticket hope that is OK. 🙂

I will go through this ticket again and perform further debugging and will respond to you soon.

Thanks

August 14, 2017 at 5:29 am #1341127

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

We recently released a new version of WCML which includes fixes and improvements, so could you please update the plugin to the latest version and let me know if that helps.

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Further, You mentioned you are using .po files for translations, so could you please provide me ftp details too, so I can check if those strings are translated properly?

You can edit the previous private reply for sending the ftp details.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

August 14, 2017 at 11:31 pm #1342121

simonA-13

Hi Shekhar,

I've just made the update and can still see untranslated strings coming from WooCommerce Bookings. Like I mentioned these problems are intermittent, to the point that I'm getting a mixture of languages on the same page. So it's very difficult to test, but the one thing that seems to fail the most is this plugin (which is a plugin supported by WPML).

I opened this ticket over two months ago. Can I hope for some movement on this?

Cheers,

Simon

August 15, 2017 at 2:07 am #1342144

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I am creating a duplicator package to replicate your site locally and will respond to you soon.

Thanks

August 15, 2017 at 8:16 am #1343400

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I can see the following issues on your site recently:

When we choose only challenges and didn't specify a date, we are receiving a message "Date is required - please choose one above" Which is not translating properly when we translate this using .po files, if we translate this using string translation there is no issue at all

Another issue is "Booking Cost" issue, the nature of this strings is also same like above, which works when translating using string translation but have a problem when we use .po files.

Except this I couldn't find any issue at all, so could you please confirm this?

For the issues we have, I am discussing this issue with our 2nd tier supporter and will respond to you soon.

Thanks

August 16, 2017 at 12:12 am #1344090

simonA-13

Hi Shekhar,

I'm seeing a bunch of other strings untranslated both on screen and in notification emails. See my previous messages - they are the same ones, nothing has changed.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I have turned off string translations for a reason - it is in fact a workaround because of another WPML problem. In other words I am relying on file based translation and this is unfortunately not something I can change.

Let me know what you suggest.

Simon

August 16, 2017 at 2:53 am #1344113

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

This seems unusual, as I can't see any issues at all, so could you please create screenshots of those strings and send to me?

Also, upon further debugging, I found out that the string translation issue doesn't occur when you are not logged in, so, please try to check the issue in the new private window without logging in to the site.

Also, Installing the latest beta version solved the remaining two strings issues for me so, could you please try once installing the beta version of the plugins? You can download the beta version of the plugins from https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ and on choose channel select "Beta" and download it.

Beta versions are special development snapshots, which passed partial tests. Usually, you should use the beta on development server rather than the production server. Please keep the backup before proceeding.

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] WooCommerce strings partially untranslated’ is closed to new replies.